Free energy and Equilibrium (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
in short if i recall correctly, when gibbs (i hope you're talking about gibbs free energy lol) is negative, equilibrium lies towards the right, while when gibbs is positive, the equilibrium lies to the left (you can search up gibbs free energy curves and see it for yourself, look at where equilibrium lies where delta G = 0 and then look at the trend of the curve and whether it leans more towards the left or the right). but i haven't encountered anything where that's needed but someone please correct me if i am wrong. maybe just keep the above tidbit of information handy just in case?

there is also an equation linking gibbs and equilibrium (delta G = -RTlnK) however it's not used in the hsc.

wizzkids

HSC
Sort answer - Yes, you do.
You may be asked questions targetting Module 5, such as 2021 HSC Chemistry Q.33 that use the Gibbs Free energy change.
In Year 11 you were introduced to the Gibbs Free Energy change as the driving force for chemical change.
In Year 12, you were shown that a system that is in dynamic equilibrium has no tendency to change, (at least, not on a macroscopic level) and therefore the Gibbs Free Energy change for a system at equilibrium must be zero. This has profound importance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)