freedom of choice in subjects a good thing? (1 Viewer)

Is yr 10 beter than 11 subejct wise?

• Yes

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Depends

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

meeeee

HSC
hello! :)

a bit bored here.. hehe

i cant wait till yr 11 coz i get to do the subjects i wanna do but from all ive heard seems like year 11s hard and boring..

is year 10 better because its easier? or is it better because you cant really complain about the subjects you do because you have to? or is it worse because you cant do the subjects you get to do..?

i personally think its worse because ive been waiting to drop pe/pd for ages!! i mean its not fun when they force you to do sports you dont like and expect you to be heaps good at them

s2ophie

HSC
year 10 is fun because you don't do any work. yr 11 is harder but its a breeze compared to yr12.

I don't think i really worried about my subjects in year 10. i mean i've always hated pe/h/pd but i just put up with it. Do you like the electives you're doing? if you do you should be fine!

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
as most people have relised by now i am in year 11 (duh!). and i think the subects that i am doing this year are much better than year 10. al the subjects i am doing now is becase i chose them. There is a bad side tho in year 10, you have no idea about what most subjects are about, you know nothing about scaling, and alot of people chose subects becase they are a "bludge" (or seem to be), or because thats what their friends are doing, and put little thought in to what they might need in uni, and by the time they relise that they need eg. chemistry its too late.
But on the whole year 11 is much better than year 10. More responsibility, freedom, choice, and its more intresting, educational wise as well as sociallly

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Year 11 & 12 beat year 10 hands down cos its like a whole new experience.......definately a lot different. And I was looking forward to Year 11 when I was in year 10 too cos I really wanted to start my new subjects.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
not only do the subjects make yr 11 and especially 12 the best school year of your life, the teachers give you a whole lot more respect

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I don't think thats its them giving you respect. Its more you giving them respect than seeing more eye to eye

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
well i would rather be back in yr 10... im in yr 12 now mainly cuz its harder... in my school i got to choose the subjects i did since yr 7 term 3 i think... and so the only real diff now is that now once i chose my subs, i more or less now have them to the end..... but anywayz the system of VI (vertical integration) has been dumped now and yea its the same as every other high school now

malayz_angel

Although I dislike the pressures that come with Year 12, Year 11 and this year are ultimately much better than Year 10. E.g. I hate science but until Year 11, it's compulsory. Now I am not doing any science subjects and I feel GREAT because I can do more English and history, my faves.

However in Year 10, I was fully stressed about the School Certificate cos our teacher's made such a big deal about it. Little did I know the worst was yet to come!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the subjects r more interesting, u go into more depth on 1 topic instead of general info. like i also found yr 9&10 more interesting than yrs 7&8

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
FREE PERIODS OWN

do u get that in year 10?

me no thinkkkksoooo ~~~

mwahaha...

year 11 rules : the subjects u do... u (should) enjoy coz u chose them

plus ur teachers are more closer to u

stellar

I think having the freedom to choose your own subjects is a great thing (only English is compulsory).

I recommend you try get into Advance English and try avoiding Standard English, as you'll might regret not doing so later on. :)

Enjoy the rest of Year 10 and Year 11. Once you start Year 12, everything you do would counts toward the HSC... UAI... and everyone will be talking about it. Anything before Year 12 DOES NOT affect your UAI (which you need to get into Uni).

Year 11 would more challenging than Year 10, but that's because you've moved up a grade and are required to learn at a higher level.

Tenille's got the right idea, and don't stress too much, that's for when you're in Year 12!

Speak to your teachers about the different subjects on offer and maybe talk to them about what you might be interested in Uni.. I think that would help you with choice.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
FREE PERIODS OWN

do u get that in year 10?

me no thinkkkksoooo ~~~

mwahaha...

Most year 11 at my school don't get any, the only people who do is if you do EXT maths or english and even then its only 5 periods over 2 weeks, and if you do both EXT's then you only 1.
If you do 13 units like most people are you get none. i don't know what i would do if i lost my frees lol

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
mmm for me year 12 has been the best year at school socially, with the teachers and so on... minus the stress its been my fav year so far... but in terms of subjects and shit i liked year 10... initially i looked forward to 11 cause of the subject choices and so on until i actually started and hated every single one of my subjects except for english which i would be doing either way... its not necessarily that the subjects are harder that bothers me.. but its that we go into too much depth and spend like 1 term per topic... its just all really dry... i recommend choosing a subject with a major work.. i didnt and regret it cause theres not 'creative' aspect in my work that i can do just to ease and bit of stress and all... i know people with a major work get severly stressed about it but overall they like it because its something diff to do for a change

Generator

HSC
N/A
Year 10 was no different to year 11 or 12 for me. It was all boring as it was, with nothing being hard.

Generator

HSC
N/A
BTW, subjects before year 12 do influence your uai, as the sc results/bands/percentages are used to help calculate the uais (ask Laz for more info), and it is also worth getting into the habit of studying for a regular number of hours per week, and in making sure that it is useful revision and not just learning what you should have written down in the classroom.
Additionally, there is little point in wasting away the other years and 'taking it easy' as the teachers may lose all respect for you, and that you may suffer from a lack of some of the skills and techniques needed for the hsc year.

EVERY YEAR IS VERY IMPORTANT, SO DON'T WASTE THEM. Anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

edit: very important rather than important.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
BTW, subjects before year 12 do influence your uai, as the sc results/bands/percentages are used to help calculate the uais i]

This is negligible however.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Subject wise, year 11 is much better than year 10. Gawd wtf was this civics crap we had to do in year 10, i came out of year 10 knowing less about history than i did entering it.

but then again, subject wise im sure uni is much better than hsc, cos like, yeah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)