french liutenants woman - postmodernism (1 Viewer)

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
LOL.
look at the meta-narrative post structuristic foucaultian derrida-ish modernist-god-over-text self reflexive socially deceptive culturally parallelical nature of thou holy CHAPTER 13 in relation to the notions of that of the senses of the 'new novel' in synthesis with culturistical aspects of the victorian age. :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
With which aspects of it?
FLW embodies - succinctly in some cases, blatantly in others - many of the aspects of postmodernism that were starting to emerge during the 1960s and 70s when Whatshisface Fowles wrote it.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well, i just don't know what i'm supposed to be saying. like what should i be focussing on? in essays and such? like i have all the 'important' chapters marked out, i'm just so lost on exactly what to say

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Don't look at it from the point of view of studying texts, rather look at it from the perspective of studying your elective (ie postmodernism). You use the texts (+ related) to show your understanding of how the texts are influenced by their context, the subversion of literary 'qualities' and how they reflect values of the author or of the society.

Focus on the actual values of postmodernism - you should know millions of them off by heart ;). Depending on the question you're asked (if it's creative it's easy, if it's an essay it's a bit more complicated, if it's a speech or something to people in the 21st century it's just BORING) you can relate to the characters as 'real' people (eg. writing a dialogue between two characters from two different texts illustrating your understanding of postmodernism allows you to 'take on' the character of Sarah) or you can write about how the texts have influenced YOUR way of thinking (the invasive narrator in FLW for instance - use him as an example and give evidence as per usual essays).

If you ever forget what to write about because the topic is so vast, keep checking the syllabus. Write it down somewhere and remind yourself that THAT is what you're focussing on. Like Telling The Truth, it's not about the texts you're actually studying but the CONCEPTS behind those texts - the context of the author and responder, and the values inherent in the text which are derived from the author's society or culture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)