Friends! (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
So, everyone knows that Friends is finishing soon in Australia, but what I really want to know is why is is finishing? Was it because the actors all decided that enough is enough, or was it the directors, or someone else's decision:confused:?

I will be so sad when this show finishes, I will seriously probably have tears in my eyes. It is by far my favourite television show ever. I think it would have been such an awesome experience being apart of the show. I just do not know what I will do without it (seriously):(.

chepas

HSC
I feel your pain! Friends is the show that is on a billion tapes at our place and when we're bored we just shove a friends tape in and watch... AND IT WILL BE NO MORE!

As to why they are finishing it, I can't remember what the article was, but it said pretty much that everyone wanted to go their 'seperate ways', writers actors etc... but also that they'd sort have reached the end of the road as far as the storyline went. Because well, the premise of the show was 6 twentysomethings all unattached and have some form of baggage, but all the characters more or less grew up and matured - Chandler and MOnica got married, Ross and Rachel with their kid, Phoebe's married - and Joey's still left open for his spin-off - like, there's only so much you could get out of a premise based on people staying a certain age, without 'growing up' and etc... hehe.

I'm not really sure that they're gonna miss their $X million dollars per episode though... crikey. Did you watch the Oprah special tonight? Not the most fascinating thing. Flowery and 'Oh s/he's so wonderful'...

The Finale DVD is coming from some guy of eBay soon for me :D. mmmm... and lovely channel 9 will drag airing it out till Aug/Sept/Oct - and there's only like 7 or 8 shows left. :angry:

I wonder what they're gonna do with the sets and all the crap - sell it somewhere for charity... :rolleyes:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they should keep the sets so people can tour them.. backlot tour type of thing

oprah was good, she still didn't spend enough time with them, they should have done 2 hours

rachel and joey have a kid? when did that happen, i love this show but haven't watched it for such a long time

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
hmmmmm
i have a good friend of mine who will also be shedding tears during the last show. i never saw the appeal. it's always been 'duh duh' humour as opposed to satire or wit.
i think the amount that these people got paid was a bit extreme also. i mean it's just a TV show, it's not as if they're saving lives through the gift of poor jokes and forced laughter.
sometimes i felt as if i predict the exact words that were gonna come out of chandler's or joey's (or any character come to think of it) mouth when it was tme for the punchline to come.

oh well, i'm sure you guys will survive with the passing of this show, just as i survived seinfeld leaving and just as we all will (with a sigh of relief perhaps) when the simpsons reaches the end of its life.

chepas

HSC
Ross and Rachel had the kid - Emma. I think end of series 8. Twas an accident, haha.

That tour idea would be so excellent. The money they'd rake in. All the secrets that would be cool to find out, set-wise... that Oprah thing went for like, 41 minutes. Joyous...

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
did you catch oprah tonight/
well i wanna get lisa kudrow hairstyle.

ahh the interview was so emotional for the actors.

Fry

Originally posted by victor..cleaner
just as i survived seinfeld leaving and just as we all will (with a sigh of relief perhaps) when the simpsons reaches the end of its life.
a sigh of relief?? a sigh of RELIEF??? :mad1: please tell me that was a typo. i cant possibly imagine life without The Simpsons and i refuse to.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
^^ agree agree!!... The Simpsons rock, it can never end.. I simply won't allow such a thing!

chepas

HSC
LOL (re simpsons discourse)- not without the striking they're went for a few months back re: pay. Quite an increase they wanted! Probably finally said to themselves "How valuable and worth it" they are...

One or two of the seasons about 3 years ago just really, I hated them, because they were just not funny at all and really sort of, get over sexual the innuendoes/innuendi/innuendae...

Well, what's the best Friends episode you reckon? I like any where Phoebe has a song to sing. My absolute favourite, from the pilot:

"Love is sweet as summer showers
Love is a wond'rous work of art.
But your love, oh your love, your love
Is like a giant pigeon....
Crapping on my heart.

La la la la la la la la la la... etc"

:ROFL: :LOL:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
I feel your pain! Friends is the show that is on a billion tapes at our place and when we're bored we just shove a friends tape in and watch... AND IT WILL BE NO MORE!
Me too! I have all of the Friends box sets that have been released in Australia (except the first two seasons). Actually, how many seasons have been released in Australia, because I think I might be missing the last season also.

As to why they are finishing it, I can't remember what the article was, but it said pretty much that everyone wanted to go their 'seperate ways', writers actors etc... but also that they'd sort have reached the end of the road as far as the storyline went.
I see.

Because well, the premise of the show was 6 twentysomethings all unattached and have some form of baggage, but all the characters more or less grew up and matured - Chandler and MOnica got married, Ross and Rachel with their kid, Phoebe's married - and Joey's still left open for his spin-off - like, there's only so much you could get out of a premise based on people staying a certain age, without 'growing up' and etc... hehe.
I probably sound stupid now but what do you mean by 'baggage':confused:? Also, who said they can't 'grow-up' in the show? They have been grown up for the last couple of seasons anyway:). Also, who thinks that the other cast members of Friends will make special guest appearances on "Joey" once in a while:)?

I'm not really sure that they're gonna miss their $X million dollars per episode though... crikey.
Everyone says "Oh, they get paid so much", but when you think about it, most A-grade Hollywood actors get paid US$20 million per movie. Knowing that each television season goes for 24 episodes (therefore 24 weeks; almost six months), this means that each cast member gets paid US$24 million dollars per season, which is the equivalent to most A-grade Hollywood actors anyway:).

Did you watch the Oprah special tonight? Not the most fascinating thing. Flowery and 'Oh s/he's so wonderful'...
I watched it, and taped it:rolleyes:. It definitely could have gone for longer though. It was really great listening to what their time has been like together though. I still can't believe that Joey and Rachel's apartment has no roof though:eek:!

The Finale DVD is coming from some guy of eBay soon for me :D. mmmm... and lovely channel 9 will drag airing it out till Aug/Sept/Oct - and there's only like 7 or 8 shows left. :angry:]

Seriously, what is the go with all the Friends repeats!

I wonder what they're gonna do with the sets and all the crap - sell it somewhere for charity... :rolleyes:
I head they pulled it down, to make room for the "Joey" set. I wish I could have been in the audience for the last episode of Friends:(.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
That tour idea would be so excellent. The money they'd rake in. All the secrets that would be cool to find out, set-wise... that Oprah thing went for like, 41 minutes. Joyous...
It was better than nothing, but I agree, it could have been much better:(.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well, what's the best Friends episode you reckon? I like any where Phoebe has a song to sing. My absolute favourite, from the pilot:

"Love is sweet as summer showers
Love is a wond'rous work of art.
But your love, oh your love, your love
Is like a giant pigeon....
Crapping on my heart.

La la la la la la la la la la... etc"

:ROFL: :LOL:
I haven't seen the first two seasons, so I don't know that episode:(. I have so many favourites, many of the episodes from older seasons are the funniest, but there are too many for me to choose my all time favourite. I keep going "yep, that is my favourite episode", but then ten minutes later I will remember/see a previous episode and think that I love that one too. So basically, it is too hard for me to chose one favourite episode.

I can however tell you my most recent favourite episode, the "Joe doesn't share food!" episode:lol:!

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
1) I probably sound stupid now but what do you mean by 'baggage':confused:? Also, who said they can't 'grow-up' in the show?

2) Everyone says "Oh, they get paid so much", but when you think about it, most A-grade Hollywood actors get paid US$20 million per movie. Knowing that each television season goes for 24 episodes (therefore 24 weeks; almost six months), this means that each cast member gets paid US$24 million dollars per season, which is the equivalent to most A-grade Hollywood actors anyway:).

3) I head they pulled it down, to make room for the "Joey" set. I wish I could have been in the audience for the last episode of Friends:(.
1) Baggage as in they had problems/issues and stuff in their lives... like, at the very beginning, Ross was divorcing from the his lesbian wife, Rachel left her husband to be at the alter, that sorta thing... And no-one's really saying they can't 'grow-up'... it's just that their lives became so complex that it must have been really hard to focus on just the six of them, rather than all the add-ons like Mike, and the babies coming out of everywhere, and marriages between two of them and relationships between three of them... Though they probably built it all up for the end! Hehe... but I guess it's just that what they started with at the very beginning changed dramatically by the end... and now before I start the circle with verbal diarrhoea again I'll stop :p

2) Still, it is an astonishing amount of money! That we'll probably not even see in our lives...

3) Ah, I see... I wonder how THAT'S going to go, if it'll be a hit like Frasier and carry on for another decade or will it die... Though apparently they're already running into problems and people are all shitty and some this and some that...

Re: The DVD box sets, if you have a multi-region DVD player that can play the US Region 1 - I REALLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE US VERSIONS!!! The shows are significantly longer because they chuck in unedited footage every now and again, and often make the shows more like 28mins-half an hour instead of our 21 minutes - quite a bit of extra time sometimes! Plus some special features seem a bit more special... I think :rolleyes:

Also they're cheaper than the Aussie ones! $US30/$AU43 against the crappy Aust releases at $AU67?? Mmm... and the Amazon.com shipping costs aren't that extravagent.

But first maybe check out eBay or something for a cheap region 1 DVD or the Friends Finale DVD just to make sure you can play it, rather than spending X dollars first off and only to discover that it doesn't work :rolleyes:

But to answer your question they're now up to season 9 in the release of the DVDs in Australia... we're ahead of the US in that respect, surprisingly.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Everyone says "Oh, they get paid so much", but when you think about it, most A-grade Hollywood actors get paid US$20 million per movie. Knowing that each television season goes for 24 episodes (therefore 24 weeks; almost six months), this means that each cast member gets paid US$24 million dollars per season, which is the equivalent to most A-grade Hollywood actors anyway:).
that is way too much money. america could be paying them half the amount, they would still have mindblowing amounts of money, and the other half could go to charity

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Seinfeld was good. Jerry Seinfeld stopped the show before it started to decline, get bad, or lose popularity. The show went out on a high note.

In my opinion friends has just been getting worse and worse and worse.... I stopped watching it awhile ago. It is definately well and truely time for it to end, in fact I think it should have stopped a while ago.

As for the simpsons, while I love it, maybe they should consider doing a seinfeld as well because the episodes aren't as good as they used to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)