Frontline: Additional Text: Today Tonight Web site (1 Viewer)

ben

I've decided to use the Today Tonight web site as an additional text - could anyway give me suggestions if this is the right sort of stuff I should be writing notes on... Thanks :)

Reference: Today Tonight http://www.todaytonight.com.au Downloaded date: 15/10/02

Synopsis

The Today Tonight web site illustrates many of the techniques and themes of the Frontline news program, primarily sensationalism and pursuit of ratings.

Techniques

Graphics:
- The Today Tonight logo is black and white, implying accuracy and precision in their own representations of the truth. This text logo is placed on a chaotic inferno orange background communicating danger and excitement. The contrasting design of the logo text and its background is used to present Today Tonight as reliable, powerful and trustworthy source of current affairs.
- Suitable thumbnail images are placed next to each storys blurb, to add interest. However each preview image is digitally manipulated with the addition of blue, red and orange stokes of colour. This has connotations of fire, danger and police. The importance of visuals was stressed in Frontline and it has been accurately reflected by the techniques use by the web sites composer.

Interaction:
- Like current affair programs encourage viewer interaction through the use of rhetorical questions and controversial statements, the web site encourages user interaction through an opinion-voting poll. However the question is manipulative and leading to a desired response, Should people be allowed to pray at work if they make up time spent praying by working late or taking a shorter lunch? The poll box has a graphical tick on its title. Users are given a choice of yes or no but no option to submit comments.
- This interaction echoes the attitude of Frontline in attempting to persuade viewers of their opinions.

Stories:
- Titles and blurbs of the stories available to view on line are sensationalised. E.g. So just how safe from terrorism are we at home? On the same page, four titles included the word terror. E.g. Kids coping with terror, Terror alert, Termite terror, Terror in Bali, Petrol prices war, Driven crazy.
- Many of the stories are consumer and lifestyle stores aimed at lower income groups. E.g. Free home makeovers (which just advertises Seven TV shows: Auction Squad and Ground Force), Rearrange your life, Renovation riches, Holiday bargains online, Eat light for life.
- There are also numerous trashy fillers to attract attention. E.g. Mrs Mums, Too pretty to work? Sweet temptation.
- The blurbs to each of the stories are equally frivolous, and the end of each blurb is a link to see the full story. E.g. Camille Sanford is 23 and unemployed. She just wants to get off the dole but she says employers think she is too good-looking to work for them. Blurbs such as this are used to get the reader curious and hence make them see the full story.

Advertisements:
- It is ironic that career-listing companies sponsor the five advertisements appearing on the web site with slogans such as Need a new job? It suggests that the target market of the web site of young adults from lower-income families.

Relevance

In The Siege the truth is distorted and sensationalised to increase ratings and create excitement.

Consumer and lifestyle stories and trashy fillers are evident, as explored in We Aint Got Dames.

:confused:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Yep.... but what about more expansions on the actual distortions...? It is a representation after all... go a bit deeper into the transcripts and pick out a couple of really tilted comments. I remember around last year Today Tonight had a go at ACA for "invasion of privacy" on air...

clauss

yep, i don't think using those as examples should be a problem.... in fact i was pretty amazed to see that students that were top banded in last year's hsc used programs like a current affair and sixty minutes. a worry i'd have with it though is how far to stretch the element of truth, especially seeing as though frontline is a satirical comedy. for one of my texts i'm using a story from ABC's lateline, reflective on commercial current affairs. good luck!

clauss

yep, i don't think using those as examples should be a problem.... in fact i was pretty amazed to see that students that were top banded in last year's hsc used programs like a current affair and sixty minutes. a worry i'd have with it though is how far to stretch the element of truth, especially seeing as though frontline is a satirical comedy. for one of my texts i'm using a story from ABC's lateline, reflective on commercial current affairs. good luck!

ben

thanks guys

yeah - i decided to use it at the last minute because it's do-able according to the standards package + it relates perfectly into episodes of Frontline.

Cherries

It appears to be a good text However

Your supposed to have a variety of texts and well Frontline is considered by the BoS to be a media text as is any website.

apart from that flaw seems good to me

ben

Originally posted by Cherries
It appears to be a good text However

Your supposed to have a variety of texts and well Frontline is considered by the BoS to be a media text as is any website.

apart from that flaw seems good to me
so film = tv series = "media" = web site = online article = paper article = magazine
:D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)