• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

full fee paying help (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

apart from the FEE-HELP scheme the government is bringing in, are there any other ways you can get money for full fee-paying tuition ?

cayte

Get the marks to get into your course legitimately so you don't take a place away from a deserving student? (OK so I didn't actually answer the question but ça m'est égal).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Full-fee paying allows you to get into a course more easily?

ashjw84

first of all my parents aren't rich.......i go to a government school and getting a job won't cover near the amount i need. secondly, i totally agree that they should all be HECS-funded places but that's not about to happen anytime soon. i've wanted to do veterinary science my whole life, and getting 98.25 would be a miracle but i think i could get within 5 points of that.

ashjw84

that's what i'm saying ! i am willing to take on debt........ i was just responding to previous suggestions. all i'm was asking is if there are other ways you can get money from like private company scholarships etc. $150000 is a lot to come up with and i'm just wanting to know if people had other ways of getting it. that's all !

santaslayer

HSC
I don't think you would get any assistance from companies purley because your course's nature is fairly different from other courses. ie. you will most likely be running a sole/partnership biz at the end.?

But you can get a scholarship....regional?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
dont listen to melbournian, he's a jerk.
I do vet science, and i'm in a HECS place, but two of my close friends are on fee paying places. One of them has rich parents (ahh, wouldnt it be nice!) and the other got a student loan from the university for her first years worth of fees (ie $28,000). But her problem is that she cant get another loan at the end of the year, and she only has 5 years to pay off the student loan, and she will still be at uni, so she is trying really hard to transfer to a HECS place.
The problem there is that very very few ppl can make that switch, a HECS place only becomes available if someone else drops out, so if no one in our year drops out, none of the fee payers can transfer to a HECS place, and even if a place does become available, there are 30ish very competitive fee paying vet students all vying for that one place. So i dunno what she is going to do.

There are fee paying scholarships offerred by the vet faculty to help out, but they are only $2000 or so, and are based on financial need.

I would suggest doing a year of another course and transferring like i did, because that one extra year of study could save you $150,000. (or $110,000 if you count HECs)

ashjw84

thanks mambomeg........finally a helpful reply ! how did your friend get the student loan from the university ? was it like a scholarship thing, or based on financial need ?

thanks

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Is there any loan help apart from this FEE-HELP that allows students to borrow $200k to study and pay it back AFTER theyre done and working? Because if personal loans are taken out, then an income is needed to pay it back everyweek.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i dont know how she got it, i was looking on the website and i couldnt find anything advertised... there are loans for students with cash problems, but they are only for like $1500, not $30,000. hmmm, i shall try and remember to ask her next week. They werent based on financial need, because its not like she was out of cash and living on the streets... dunno...
And kimmeh, i dont think there are any, but fee-help would be your best option because its designed for students. any loan from a bank etc would have much higher interest rates. The uni itself doesnt offer loans that big, but there are heaps of scholarships and bursaries (scholarships that they ask you to repay) that you can apply for, usually only for a few grand, but hey, its better than nothing!

Note to all... check everywhere for places that offer scholarships to school leavers, i got one from the Revesby workers club! if you dont look, you'll never know what you are missing out on!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
so i asked my friend how she got her loan - she got a commonwealth bank loan, because the uni didnt offer loans big enough to cover her fees. She said u can get loans of up to $20,000 from most banks which you can defer until after you finish your studies, but you pay a heap of interest for the privilage. So she is paying hers off as she goes, and next year, if she cant get into a HECS place, she is going to apply for FEE-Help, and try to transfer to HECS the next year.
To get her loan she pretty much needed to have $28,000 worth of assests, so luckily her parents transferred some stuff into her name so she could get the loan, but she said they never would have given it to her if she hadnt had those assets to back her up.

Moral of the story - Get a HECS place, or get Fee-help for a year and try to transfer.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
if i was you i would do the transferring method.

especially with the fact that i am studying at mq, internal transfers isnt't a very fussy business.
so find out about internal transfers at the uni you want to go to. i'd recommend that you at least enrol in the same uni as your first preference course and try internal transfers rather than doing the same course at a differernt uni. extrenal transfers are harder than internal ones.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mambomeg said:
The problem there is that very very few ppl can make that switch, a HECS place only becomes available if someone else drops out, so if no one in our year drops out, none of the fee payers can transfer to a HECS place..
Um, no that is not quite true.

If you transfer you transfer with everyone else in the non recent school leavers category at the end of the year, through the UAC. There are as many chances of transferring from FEES to HECS as there are from HECS to HECS.

Last edited:

psych_girl

HSC
hay, here

I am an international HSC student. If my UAI reaches the local UAI requirement, do i pay full-fee or local fee?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
If we go overseas to study, we have to pay inetrnational fees, why would it be different here? It's very fair, so stop whining. You can't expect to come into another country, gain a free ride through university and take places away from kids who have been here since the begining (or, been in australia longer than 3 years..). Live with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)