• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

fun circle geometry question (1 Viewer)

EvoRevolution

HSC
A cyclic quadrilateral has perpendicular diagonals which meet in P.
Prove that the feet of the perpendiculars from p to the sides of the quadrilateral lie on a circle.

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
ohhhhh gee wiz guys i only drew the first part of the question feel free to add some

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Hmm, are these perpendicular feet at 90 degrees to the sides of the original quadrilateral?

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
if some1 can interperet the question and finnish my pic i can solve it since i am prety gud with the circle rules

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Classic case of converse fallacy.

A kite has diagonals that cross at right angles, but that does not mean that any quad with perpendicular diagonals is a kite...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've solved it. But without being able (unlike jetblack2007) to put up the diagram it's not practical to post soln.

Soln outline:

1) The 4 perpendiculars fr P to the 4 sides (see Timothy.Siu's diagram) partition the original cyclic quad into 4 cyclic quads

2) Then I worked out ( haha) 2 opp angles of the quad formed by the 4 feet of perpendiculars sum to 180 deg.

3) Had used repeatedly: Angles on a common chord in a segment are equal to these smaller cyclic quads. Also 2 of them add to 90 deg.

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Explain in brief how you did it.

I had lots of little cyclic quads inside the big one.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
draw in paint lol.
u don't understand. I'm quite illiterate in use of computers. I barely use a mobile phone. had to get someone to help me retrieve an sms message. That's how pathetic it is!

That's why my ability to post solutions is handicapped.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
u don't understand. I'm quite illiterate in use of computers. I barely use a mobile phone. had to get someone to help me retrieve an sms message. That's how pathetic it is!

The solution is not too hard to do on a bit of scrap paper if you just angle chase a bit, but it would be a pain to write it all out.

EvoRevolution

HSC

lol

anyway ill give it a try

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)