galvanic cells (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm i dont know what dot point this referes to, so i'm asuming :
4.2.5 Outline the construction of galvanic cells and trace the direction of electron flow.

A galvanic cell consists of 2 separate half cells-a reduction half cell and an oxidation half cell. This construction ensures thats that electrons cannot directly go from the reductant to the oxidant, but will move through the external circuit. The two half cells contain electrolytic solutions and the circuits is completed with a salt bridge, usually KNO3. This allows the migration of ions to maintain electrical neutrity in both electrolyte solutions. The electrons flow in the opposite direction to the conventional current, therefore flowing from negative, the anode, to the positive, the cathode

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Yeah... in more general terms, you need two "half-cell" reactions that will work, a way to transport the electrons from one cell to the other, and a way to take away the charges that accumulate in each half cell.

Rusting is a galvanic cell, in this sense. (Shipwrecks)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think this question could also be referring to what conditions a cell is produced. i.e. Standard temperature/pressure etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)