• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

GDipAppFin @ FINSIA (2 Viewers)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I've been bored, and have been looking into the finance field a bit. (Don't flame me, don't have much of an idea)

Is FINSIA, the ICAA-equivalent of the finance world?

Is anyone looking to study there in the future?

How useful is it; employability options, etc?

What kind of people generally undertake this course?

I think thats enough questions for now. :D

Thanks. :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The Chartered Financial Analyst program is internationally recognised.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
§eraphim said:
The Chartered Financial Analyst program is internationally recognised.
Are you trying to say that CFA > Graduate Diploma from FINSIA (and also a Masters)?

jpr333

HSC
Yeah thats what i wanna know whats generally better... masters, honours (& whatever) or ca/cfa programs.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I think we need to distinguish between education for professional development purposes and to meet regulatory requirements.

CFA is a "professional" Finance qualification generally regarded as equivalent to a Masters in Finance from either FINSIA or uni. Anecdotal evidence suggests that most candidates are already expected to have passed Level I of the exams before they get a promotion.

There is also Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst for ppl interested in working in a hedge fund. Bit dodgy though, better off doing a masters in finance or financial engineering.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I was thinking of the Graduate Diploma as a stepping stone to reaching the Masters. How solid is that qualification?

I am a bit confused as to what the differences between CFA and Masters from FINSIA are? Once again, what kind of people go for either.:)

turtleface

HSC
yeah CFA definitely is better internationally, but you can always do all of them, its just that most jobs don't really insist you do them.

Another issue is that because there are so many CFA applicants now (doubled in the past few years), the CFA designation is becoming shitter in terms of wow factor, in the same way as the CPA is in Australia.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
There isn't any pt doing 2 qualifications that are of equivalent value in terms of professional development.

You would only do further bridging studies with FINSIA on top of your existing CFA to meet some regulatory requirement, eg ASIC PS 146.

The masters in finance at maq may be of use: http://www.cmbf.mq.edu.au/CFA_release.htm

turtleface

HSC
Why do people get a CPA and a CA then?

On another note, I've found out what CPA and CFA stand for,

CPA=Can't Pass Actuarial, CFA= Can't Face Actuarial

boom, boom

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
Why do people get a CPA and a CA then?

On another note, I've found out what CPA and CFA stand for,

CPA=Can't Pass Actuarial, CFA= Can't Face Actuarial

boom, boom
I thought CA was for those who want to do auditing.

As for CFA and FINSIA, they seem to be on par.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
FINSIA = SIA merged with Australasian Institute of Banking and Finance

instead of the good ol days of FSIA and ASIA, they have A Fin (Associate); SA Fin (Senior Associate); F Fin (Fellow); SF Fin (Senior Fellow); Life (Honourary)

Apparently fewer than 1 in 5 people who start off chasin their CFA actually end up with it. (http://www.pr.mq.edu.au/events/index.asp?ItemID=2474)

also CA/CPA can go for the same positions but CA is more prestigious (there are less CAs and its more difficult to obtain)...so both CA/CPA can become auditors (which is one facet of accounting)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
As far as I know, people in accounting firms are encouraged to do GradDip's from the FINSIA. I am wondering is this is mainly the people working in Corporate Finance? I mean I'll be in Audit....So would it make sense to the firm to allow me to do this while working as a graduate in my first year?

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
redruM said:
So would it make sense to the firm to allow me to do this while working as a graduate in my first year?
ask them, all these firms encourage further education to my knowledge. but i'm curious, shouldnt you be more concerned about getting a CA/CPA qualification?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
SSaint said:
ask them, all these firms encourage further education to my knowledge. but i'm curious, shouldnt you be more concerned about getting a CA/CPA qualification?
Thats exactly what I am doing tomorrow morning. I just wanted to get other perspectives on it. :)

As for my CA qualification, I will start that after 1 year of working (since it is the requirement). So, I can utilise the next year by completeing the GradDip in Applied Finance and Investment.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
out of interest, are u using this to get into IB?

ive heard master of applied fin at mq is pretty good.. or go for the CFA.. ive heard good things from employers abt the two

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
:: ck :: said:
out of interest, are u using this to get into IB?

ive heard master of applied fin at mq is pretty good.. or go for the CFA.. ive heard good things from employers abt the two
I can't say that I am doing this to get into IB, purely because I don't know enough about careers in finance. But, at the same time, I think that the Grad Dip (and then potentially Masters) along with a CA may give me the opportuinity to venture out of a strictly accounting career.

Actually, if there are any "Careers in Finance 101" type of sites, or even if someone can be fucked to type it up, could you please bring it to my attention? I just want to get of an idea about the kind of work out there...

turtleface

HSC
Is Investment Banking a finance job at all? It seems that all sorts of people are in it, there seems to be no common qualification amongst the Investment Banking lot (besides maybe MBA)

Finance is a bit of a misnomer job to me. What types of jobs can you get with a Finance qualification? The only ones I can think of are maybe Broking and Trading. It seems all finance jobs are also occupied by non finance qualified people.

Sites I've found:
http://www.unixl.com/dir/business_and_economy/finance/finance_careers/ (not very useful...very brief)
I'll add more as I find

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)