Gendered Language! need some help (1 Viewer)

dougypizza

HSC
Hello! Is anyone out there doing gendered language and wants to swap notes/ideas/etc...? If so please contact me!
Thanks

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
I know how you feel...

Hi, I did gendered language last year for my HSC.
I may be able to help you but I sorta threw out my notes (If you have seen posts be me from last year you would realised how much I hated Deborah Tannen!). :mad:
We looked at Elizabeth and Twelfth Night but I focused on Elizabeth.
It was easy for my teacher to reach because she has a lingusitics degree! So she gave us a lot of her notes on gender and language.
If you need any help I would be happy to give you a few pointers on what I remember.
Just for curiosity, do you come from a single gender school or co-oed school? I went to an all girls school and I only found one other school that did gendered language the same year as I. She was also from an all girls school.
It helps if you read all of Tannen. I didn't but we had enough students in the class so that each student summarised a chapter and we worked from there. Our class didn't do too well though mainly because the question was a shocker!

dougypizza

HSC
Hey! yeah im from a single-sex guys school with female teacher. I too hate tannen. Her book is just so americanised, even with the examples. I suppose it is hard though, writing as a female on communication between males and females, because no matter what you do, the readers, in this case males, will reject alot of what you say because of the attitude 'how would she know about men'.

Oh bummer about the notes. yeah its a small candidature for gendered language! about 200 people or something last year.

Was that the debate question? we attempted it in class. Kinda hard! haha
It's a bit of a shame really with our class, becuase they use it as a chance to pay out women, and thats not really what the course is. it's prob just proving tannen more right with assymetrical conversation etc.

soem pointers on elizabeth would be good, we are just starting that now, however we aren't doing twelth night, but Floor of Heaven by Tranter. it's very good, mainly because you can see how you react to the image of the narraotr presented, because i got the gender of the narrator completey wrong haha.

yeah anythign woudl be good. Like maybe a logic map of your answer, or something like that! any help would be good.

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
What would you like to know? From memory, we looked at the power issue in Elizabeth, and how it relates to what Tannen says. We also looked at role reversal --> how 'liz had to take on the attitude of a male. I focused on the two Volta scenes, and analysed the differences in liz. There's lots of examples of powerplay in the movie. You can also look at the passing of the unification bill scene --> the one with the bishops. liz uses several tecniques mentioned in Tannen.
Make sure you start looking for your related texts early...you probably already have some from your half yearlys. If you get stuck swap texts with others in your class.
For that question, it might be a good idea to grab hold of the standards package...however last year they put no eg for GL in it.

sweet tooth

what a pleasant surprise, more gendered studnets!
i actually quite liked tannen, but doug, the floor of heaven sucks!!!! common? oh sandra?????

elizabeth was a sweet movie tho.

SetoKaiba

I think the stats are five schools doing gendered language this year... thankfully, I am too. Doing Elizabeth and Floor of Heaven so if you want any discussion... I can reply. Oh - the thing about the Floor of Heaven narrator... it's soooooo painful.
I thought it was a guy all along, and then... I was still convinced it was a guy with a gay name. No-one else seems to think that, though.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
It's good to see some other Gendered Language people :) We're doing Twelfth Night + Elizabeth though. I'm starting to like Tannen more.. which is scaring me :uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)