General Engineering Stuff... (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
This is a question from Schlenker/McKern Engineering Studies book:

Ok, theres a boat of mass 2 tonnes resting on a ramp inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal...coefficient of friction is 0.3.....calculate the force required to push the boat DOWN the ramp and keep it moving at a constant velocity. Sounds Simple? Not quite...I calculated the answer to be NEGATIVE (?!) 1.2 kN, whereas the answer is positive 1.2 kN...can someone explain what's going on here? :confused:

tieki

well, if it weighs that much, and with that coefficient, it won't go anywhere unless you push it downhill, obviously...lol

Use a force triangle with 2000 x 9.8 in the vertical pointing down, using ur angle of static friction (tan-1 0.3), and the third force...haven't got my textbook on me atm. It sounds like a problem with the direction of your friction or pushing force...which direction was the negative force pushing, btw? if it was pushing uphill, then ur answer's fine...tell me how it goes :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I thought it was pretty much self explanatory?! Oh well...
Check out the attachment and you'll see~

Last edited:

tieki

I think I found ur problem from the diargam...isn't N (the vertical component of the weight force) the wrong way around...? See the diagram I uploaded :)
I'm just doing it now...upload it in a minute :)

tieki

Um...I won't upload it, coz I came out with the same answer as you...it makes sense, though, coz the parallel component of the weight force is bigger than the frictional force going uphill, thus requiring P to be pushing uphill to stop it sliding...if the textbook says it's 1.2kN, then I'm stumped, because it should be -1.2kN, otherwise that boat's gonna go down the hill pretty fast...lol

tieki

Um...force is a vector, isn't it? Therefore we can't have a negative force, can we? Just a positive force in a certain direction...? So the answer is not -1.2kN down the hill, it's 1.2kN up the hill...did the answers specify a direction for the force, or just a value? Because if they only told a value, then they're wrong...they need to say a direction as well...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeh I'm tending to think along your lines...
anyways what's ur real name? Is it Tieki?!

tieki

no, it's Kieran Tie...I just write tieki coz it's my login name on the network at school...last name then first 2 letters of first name...lol
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)