General Maths Help (1 Viewer)

Shamz

HSC
N/A
hi
i just got my maths mark back and out of the 30% i got 22%
i so suck at maths is there anyway i can improve like i practice and practice and serz i thought iwould kill that test....i think maybe in test conditions i get all nervous....am i doing something wrong....is practicing the only thing i can do...becoz i do practice or am i missing something?

Miffy

I assume you mean that your mark was about 73%? Really that's not a bad mark, just find out your rank and the standard of the test. Chances are it was a difficult test. Also, don't tell yourself you suck at maths... just try to be positive!

Are you maybe practicing the wrong stuff? I mean like doing more practice of the stuff you are already really good at? If you're doing that try and concentrate more on the things in maths you find difficult and then you will improve more in those particular areas, rather than just concentrating on a few topics.

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
maybe you could put yourself under exam conditions like one or twice a week. get a past question on the topic you are doing or one you have done, particularly if you've had a bit of trouble with it. find out where you went wrong and do it again. im sure your teacher would be happy to mark anything you want to hand up if you really want.

and work on what you dont know as apposed to practicing what you know really well. in the final exam we have no idea what they will be focusing on, so it would be better to have an all rounded knowledge and not knowing only part of the course...

if you want anyhelp with any part of it, feel free to ask me, i tend to do pretty well n would be happy to help you out.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Work through the book of past hsc exams. If you don't have it, I recommend you get it. It was very helpful for me.

Also, look at the questions you got wrong in this exam, and focus on those areas for next time.

Last edited:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Shamz
hi
i just got my maths mark back and out of the 30% i got 22%
i so suck at maths is there anyway i can improve like i practice and practice and serz i thought iwould kill that test....i think maybe in test conditions i get all nervous....am i doing something wrong....is practicing the only thing i can do...becoz i do practice or am i missing something?
I know someone with a similar problem, but this person doens't study as much as they should. In class they know what they are doing but when it comes to an exam they freeze up.

Just others said, practise in exam conditions, it'll make you less nervous.

elise2004

I kinda agree that to do it under exam situations but.... i still freeze up myself its the fact that you know it counts that is what scares everyone like i know myself i want to do child psychology and need a UAI of like 96. in general im getting only 75% which i have been told i need at least 90 to get my uai so hun im with you. STUCK!

Shamz

HSC
N/A
OH MAN IM GONNA DIE!!!! i dunt know wat to do like i try hard BUT THANKS for your suggestions and i will try it out 4 sure
THANKSSSSSS

this_guy

look, the only thing that will get ur marks up is to practice, practice, practice.
i know from experience i used to suck at maths, once last year i got 36% for a topic test, but then i practiced like everyday and now i get 90+ all the time.

loucee

keep trying!

im really impressed this_guy! 36% to 90+ isnt bad, maybe i should take ure advice and just practice, practice, practice!
but yeah shamz, definately use the past papers cause they really help! also are u using a graphics calculator? cause if u are try to use it as much as you can, cause it really gives u an advantage if u know how to use it properly!

craz

HSC
I agree past papers are a great tool. Like I went for the textbook, and I thought I was fine and then I switched in exam time to being a bit of a zombie. so then I went through past exam papers in 2.5 hours (my teacher was generous as well with class time revision) and then you go through the paper and try to correct your own mistakes and then if you have extra problems. I recommend either a mate or your teacher.

becky_baby

i have the Exel General maths text. it has sample mulitiple choice and free response questions for all the topics.and in the answers it has all the working out.. ive learnt alot from it. Totally recommend everyone that has trouble remembering tips in maths buy it. its been my life saver!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)