• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General Uni Questions (1 Viewer)

specialjenny

HSC
This is a thread for all of us, the ones about to start uni to ask questions about it.....sorry but I am so clueless and have so many questions that i want to ask.

So thanks in advance to everyone who helps to answer.

Q: Are you allow to eat/drink in classes? (both lectures/tutorials)

Q: Do people check homework?

Q: During tutorials, are they like high school where the tutor could go "Jennifer, what is your answer to question 10?" or they don't do that?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You can eat during lectures, as long as you don't make a mess. As for tutorials, they often are short to compared lectures, and some tutors don't like you eating.

It isn't really called homework at uni, for my course we had to do weekly readings - which counted as 10% of the final grade.

In tutorials there is generally a discussion, but again, it depends on the subject and the tutor. Sometimes they might ask you to give a specific answer to a specific question and then a discussion may eventuate.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeah i dont get tutorials, as far as ive heard you do homework? thats wierd..what if people copy your ideas? lol but na is it like project work or school prac's and stuff, similar to a normal high school class where u can ask questions and thingys?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol ... one tut in a tourism subject last year, everyone had the same work ... lol. We had to read a novel and we all "read" the same novel.

Ofcourse you ask questions in tuts ... thats what they were mainly designed for. So you can understand your lecture better. I often ended up in arguements with my tutors cause i didn't agree with everything that they said. They will often give you more marks if you can discuss you points of view in the tut.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yes and no. most tutors and lecturers let you, but they get mighty pissed if you make a mess. which is understandable of course.

university study is about self-discipline. while tutorial homework isn't usually checked, it might be once or twice during the semester as a basis to determine your class mark. also, it isn't fun failing exams because you haven't done your homework. you have been warned.

Q: During tutorials, are they like high school where the tutor could go "Jennifer, what is your answer to question 10?" or they don't do that?
they could, but normally tutes (for me) have been less interactive than that... tutes usually go over the finer points of the material, allow time to ask questions and go through model solutions rather than a 'let's see who done their homework' session. uni is really about your own attitude to study, rather than force-feeding you.

asdf

HSC
specialjenny said:
This is a thread for all of us, the ones about to start uni to ask questions about it.....sorry but I am so clueless and have so many questions that i want to ask.

So thanks in advance to everyone who helps to answer.

1/ Depends on the lecturer - but for my subjects its a yes.
2/ Depends, my discrete tutor would go around the tutorial checking our work, and give you a funny look if you didn't attempt it. Other tutors dont give a shit.
3/ Again it depends, the discrete tutor would sometimes do that. Some will probably not remember your name... :p

specialjenny

HSC
Thanks for answering my Qs guys. Much appreciated.

Another question:

Is it better to have handwritten notes? Or should I type all my notes up say I use pen and paper in lectures...

T

timbk2

specialjenny said:

Another question:

Is it better to have handwritten notes? Or should I type all my notes up say I use pen and paper in lectures...
i guess thats entirely a personal preference. There are no benefits or disadvantages of using either.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It really depends upon your person preferences. Pen and paper definately for lectures, what you do after that is up to you.

kalli

HSC
specialjenny said:

Another question:

depends on your study style. at my uni the lectures are posted on the net beforehand in powerpoint format. i print them out, take notes on them in the lecture then when i get home put all the notes from lectures and my own reading into typed notes. i then put those typed notes in a folder behind my origional powerpoint slides...

everybody does different stuff :)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
natstar said:
Yes- Providing u dont make a mess, and take rubish with you.

Depends on ur subject/uni. In a few of my units, we have to do weekly homework and show the tutor. The tutor doesent actually check the answers, but just checks if you do it or not.

Yes, they can do this. Some tutors I have had, do this, and its so annoying, especially if u havent read the readings. And if they know your name they pick on you even more lol.
so ist good not to let the tutor know ur name?

santaslayer

HSC
Katie123 said:
so ist good not to let the tutor know ur name?
Ehhh...no
Better they know your name in some instances...esp when you're marked on class particapation...at least they know you EXIST!!

1/10 for effort...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)