Geofferey Robinson QC - Enough Rope (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
haha.

I know, I'll be bashed. But I just want those who haven't really seen many high-profile legal-types to branch out...namely, certain impressionable Legal Studies students.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes. He has quite the ego. Just toys with his prey.
He's my new pin-up

edit: Gavrillo et al, He did another Hypothetical this mornin on the Sunday program - Kim, Abbot, Natasha, Hills Song guy, Muslims, ASIO people etc were there. Twas great.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Something random I just found out -- Eric Bana is married to Chief Justice Gleeson's daughter

X

xeuyrawp

neo_o said:
I think that it'd be worse if you're father was a HC judge.
'I sentence you to 4 days without chocolate icecream, a month without TV, and probationary use of the fridge' :(:(:(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
They wouldnt talk to you without representation and couldn't advise you on anything

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Geoffrey Robertson is a pretensious cunt. The whole of his book 'The Justice Game' is spent talking himself up.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
You know how now QC's are really SC's...is it ok to call them QC's coz it sounds better and people actually know what ur talking abt? So many people say to me SC???
No, otherwise all the SCs would say 'QC'.

You could just say 'Senior Counsel' or something... According to Chester Porter's bio, there was a bit scuffle when it was proposed to change the existing QCs to SCs.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
edit: Gavrillo et al, He did another Hypothetical this mornin on the Sunday program - Kim, Abbot, Natasha, Hills Song guy, Muslims, ASIO people etc were there. Twas great.
OMFG! YES! He was tre grand. For those who didn't see it here are some highlights:

Robertson said:
: Archbishop, you are watching Catriona on Getaway. You see these paradises that she goes to, most people in ordinary jargon, would call heaven or paradise. Do you feel that the church could be a bit more explicit in describing heaven? In the Koran, of course, it is described with great spirituality and sensuality. But what is the Anglican Church's idea of heaven? You give the good news about everlasting life. But to many people it seems like a life that's spent playing bridge with Joh and Flo, or Fred and Elaine.
Robertson said:
Well, you go to Nirvana, you hire a motor bike and off you go to the prison. You are the last person who gets to visit her before her execution. She is being executed tomorrow. You sing songs of the Hillsong Church — 'Jesus is My Superhero' and 'Money Makes the World go Around'. And you get very moved by her because she's going to die tomorrow. And she says to you, "There's one thing I would like you to do. Would you just pass a message on to my brother, just a message saying 'I'm coming over at 8:25, the third palm tree like we discussed. Be there'. Simple message. You can remember that.
DR Mahathir Mohamad said:
Well, at that very moment in Australia a terrorist threw a bomb into the market and killed 1,000 people and then escaped and seek refuge in the Nirvana embassy. And you want the terrorist to be handed over to you. And the Nirvana embassy says no, we cannot release this man to you, even though we know he's guilty. He is a good Muslim. He just did it because he felt like doing it. Well, what do you think about that?
Overview: http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/article_1852.asp

Transcript: http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/transcript_1852.asp

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Jesus that man has talent.

If I ever get called to the bar and I have a quarter of his ability to advocate, I'll be a happy man.

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: Tony Abbott, you're doing the John Howard Memorial Jog around Kirribilli. You see someone who looks like a Muslim videoing the British Consulate. Would you think of ringing the National Security Hotline?

TONY ABBOTT: I don't know that I would be in any position to make those sorts of judgments.

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: Well, you jog around Kirribilli House and five minutes later he is still videoing the British Consulate. Would you think of ringing the security hotline?

TONY ABBOTT: Maybe. I don't know.

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: Do you know the number of the security hotline?

TONY ABBOTT: I could probably ring 12456 and ask them for it.

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: Garry Linnell will tell you the number of the security hotline. You meet him jogging around the other way. He has it on his fridge.

GARRY LINNELL: I have indeed. It starts with 1800.

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: And how does it go on after that?

GARRY LINNELL: It's still on the fridge.
hahha gold

[edit- thanks gavie :D:D:D]

Last edited by a moderator:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
I was never really a big fan of Geoffrey Robertson (I, too, found his Justice Game irritating) but I have just recently read his latest book: The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man who sent Charles I to the Scaffold and I recently heard him speak at a lunch at the Union Club and, yes, I was converted to the cult as I sat there stunned by his rhetorical ability.

Budding barristers all, read his new book. Says much about the power of advocates and their skills.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I cant help but think that his books would be lacking w/o his oratory

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
He's just as powerful on paper as he is in person.

Reading his analysis of South American war crimes gave me goosebumps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)