Getting into Maths Extension (1 Viewer)

Swagiel_

HSC
Say you are in the lowest math class. Is it possible to move up to do it in year 11.
I am in year 10 btw.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Lowest maths class at what type of school?

Selective - yes.

Non-selective - I would assume that the lowest class would be doing 5.1 - if the class numbers are OK, technically you should be allowed to do it, but you really wouldn't want to.

tumtoom

HSC
Most teachers will recommend against it, which is what they did to my sister for even math general but she did it anyway. :)
Though i did 5.3 last year and perhaps i'm just feeling negative today because I'm pretty sure i failed my ext exam which was today (and not 'nerd' failing but less than 50% failing) but why would you want to?
Pick general/2u and ace that level!

Swagiel_

HSC
Most teachers will recommend against it, which is what they did to my sister for even math general but she did it anyway. :)
Though i did 5.3 last year and perhaps i'm just feeling negative today because I'm pretty sure i failed my ext exam which was today (and not 'nerd' failing but less than 50% failing) but why would you want to?
Pick general/2u and ace that level!
My teacher said that i couldn't get into medicine at uni because of the class i am in.

braintic

HSC
N/A
My teacher said that i couldn't get into medicine at uni because of the class i am in.
If you are not capable of doing Extension maths, the marks you will get will not help you get into medicine.
Do you top other subjects? If not, have you got options other than medicine?

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Say you are in the lowest math class. Is it possible to move up to do it in year 11.
I am in year 10 btw.
I might seem a little harsh OP but I don't think at this point you can do 3u mathematics, unless you've been aceing all your tests and will ace all of your tests, even then theres a small chance.

Please don't be those people who aspire to do 3u maths and medicine just because its a high scaling subject, a prestigious and well respected profession, if you had an innate desire for the career, you would've worked hard till year 10. Im not saying these things to bring you down but if you're in a school like mine, they wouldn't ever allow you for 3u due to being the lowest class, we've had kids who were in 5.3 in year 10 and ended up doing 3u...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
TBH you don't need 3u maths for medicine. You need 2u minimum and if you're driven enough, you can smash it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)