Getting published: an edge or common practice? (1 Viewer)

capa

HSC
Hey. I'm new on this forum and like to ask a question i've been pondering.

I'm in Vic Uni law. I know i'll have a hard time competing against all you brains from the G8 uni's (USyd, Melb, Monash, UNSW, U Qld etc).

So, would getting a refereed article published as an undergrad in a law journal be much of an edge or is it common practice at your more prestigous uni's?

Also, is anyone else consdiering masters in the US, Canada or UK. If so, which uni's? You think there's much of a difference between LLM at U Melb or Monash? Or, would U Syd, UNSW or U Qld be a good option?

Thanks for any replies. I'd just like to know if, at the interview or postgrad research application, i'll get the comment: "Yes, but, all undergrads at the big uni's get published ...".

Also, how do you guys perceive Vic Uni?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I don't think it matters where you get your masters (well maybe not like UWS) cos masters is definitely more of an individual achievement rather than a reflection on your law school.

As far as getting published goes, I certainly wouldn't say it was a 'common practice', at any uni. Think of the amount of students that go through these law schools--only a very select few ever get published. Getting published is a fantastic achievement enviable in ANY law school, whether it be a G8 or bottom of the pecking order school....

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
capa said:
Hey. I'm new on this forum and like to ask a question i've been pondering.

I'm in Vic Uni law. I know i'll have a hard time competing against all you brains from the G8 uni's (USyd, Melb, Monash, UNSW, U Qld etc).

So, would getting a refereed article published as an undergrad in a law journal be much of an edge or is it common practice at your more prestigous uni's?

Also, is anyone else consdiering masters in the US, Canada or UK. If so, which uni's? You think there's much of a difference between LLM at U Melb or Monash? Or, would U Syd, UNSW or U Qld be a good option?

Thanks for any replies. I'd just like to know if, at the interview or postgrad research application, i'll get the comment: "Yes, but, all undergrads at the big uni's get published ...".

Also, how do you guys perceive Vic Uni?
Howdie there! :)

Until the other day I thought that when folks were talking about Vic Uni, they were were talking about Victoria University of Wellington ... How remiss of me. But I had a squiz at your website and it looks like an interesting place. The old building you inhabit in the legal precinct endears me to you.

On the point of the article in ugrad journals, it's really hard to generalise. Some journals have high produciton values, a tough editorial committee and fierce competition to get material published. Others do not. I have not had much to do with undegrad journals (by this I mean journals that publish ugrad writing, not the uni law reviews with a student editorial committee) but I know that the ugrad journal that publishes submissions from students at USyd has been cited at unis abroard, including Harvard, so I'm assuming that particular journal is reputable. But, as i say, I can't generalise.

I would love to to BCL at or a DPhil in history Oxford - but I'm far too poor. I really want to just get out into practice. :)

capa

HSC
Thanks for the replies. No, I mean that i'm already publsihed in a law review so would this be something to include on my cover letter and highlight or is it common at your bigger uni's?

Are any of you familiar with bond law review?

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
capa said:
Are any of you familiar with bond law review?
I believe it would be the law journal of Alan Bond University.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
No it is definitely not common for undergraduate law students to be published.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
One of my more pretentious lecturers actually said in a lecture that we should all submit our assignments to journals. That we'd nearly always get rejected, but the one or two students who can write publishable articles will be rewarded once they graduate with a few published articles to their name.

santaslayer

HSC
neo_o said:
One of my more pretentious lecturers actually said in a lecture that we should all submit our assignments to journals. That we'd nearly always get rejected, but the one or two students who can write publishable articles will be rewarded once they graduate with a few published articles to their name.
It's not a bad idea. You know you'll get rejected, but you might come out lucky once. capa, it doesn't matter what uni you came from, you should be credited/acknowledged when deserved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)