• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Getting Published (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Has anyone got any ideas of mags/papers etc where students could get their work published? I wanna write some stories but I am unsure where to submit them. Does anyone read any publications that give details on how to get published etc.... I'm after anything!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
go for work experience Ash. The local paper, a small magazine. I'm doing a journalism course and 40 hours work experience is compulsory, I finished two days at a magazine called "FilmInk" and they published my DVD review.

astro

HSC
yeah fictionpress.com is pretty good, user friendly - all you need is penname (u can change it), password and email address....but if you're looking for paid publication then maybe not...if it's a fanfic then fanfiction.net is pretty good

Does reader's digest take stories

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks Loz. I'm going to start looking for work experience but it can be hard fitting it around uni/work when your work has a really unreliable roster....

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, that's where Macleay College is good. 4 days a week and Friday's off, which can be used to do work exp. Problem is, some employers are really iffy about doing it one day a week, they'd rather just a one week straight.

Can you do it in your holidays? Uni holidays are usually pretty long. What's your course like anyway?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I really like my course and I have already gotten something published (we do get opportunities), however I want more stuff to get published lol.

I go home to Albury in uni hols usually so I suppose I could do some work exp at the local paper when I am home, but the local paper isn't all that so I'm not that keen, I'd rather do it somewhere else....

I only go to uni Mon-thurs as well, but I usually work on friday and weekends... so my whole week kinda gets used up. But I will try and figure something out, thanks for the advice.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
as a non journalism person, i really have no idea what im talking about, but what about some freelance stuff, isnt that the point of it, you just do it when you can?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Freelancing? That would involve pay right?

The SMH accepts short compositions on the last page for Heckler. I love that column and people from all walks of life contribute to it everyday. I don't think you get paid for it but just getting something published in something as major as the SMH would be a good start to anything. Submission information is on the back page and in the past, I've read a submission from a Yr 12 student so they do accept young writers. Today's column was by a past English Extension 2 student :p. I recognised her name from the Showcase CD 2 years ago lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol cool

if oyu get published make sure you tell us so we can read it

i think what you wanna do it good, you want to be ahead of those in your course, not with them (for job prospects in the end)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, well it's important to build up a good portfolio.... I have one thing published so far, and I love seeing my work in print so it is a bit of an ego thing too lol.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
how is it to become freelance and where do you start looking?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hmmm, I think that's what I'm going to have start doing. Places like the tele or the Herald don't take you on unless you can produce evidence of work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)