• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Getting Started: Choosing a Medium (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Argh! Bos being idiotic. Anyway, this was based on a thread by Kyroth, and feel free to keep adding to it..

Q: "What medium did you use, and why was it good?"

jhakka said:
I did a short story, and it was awesome. It rocked because formality wasn't absolutely necessary, its not an essay and it was something I've wanted to do for years.
Monkey Butler said:
I did a film script, basically because I've always wanted to write one, and it's very flexible in terms of getting what you want down on paper. Although you have to be fairly literal in terms of the style of your script (ie, what's happening and how it looks)
Fire Sprite said:
I did poetry which was challenging but very rewarding, it was good because while upon first impression people assume poetry is confined to a form and structure its not! You can experiment and make incredibly creative pieces.
glitterfairy said:
I did a short story. I've always loved to write, and doing a subject that just required me to do something I loved (and little more) was just a dream come true... it also allowed me to take a subject close to my heart and have a damn good excuse to publicly write about it I'm another essay-writing-hater, so the creative writing was a good outlet for me. In a lot of my original drafts, there is a LOT of venting... it all had to be edited out though lol.
ujuphleg said:
i've always wanted to write a film script and this gave me the perfect oppurtunity to do it. I investigated and wrote about the experiences of Chinese/Australian 2nd generation kids and it was great -- firstly cos i got to talk to heaps of people about their experiences then i got to imagine what it would look like as a film then put it down on paper. It was heaps of fun, and I'll tell you that the best bit is not when you get marks back and they are good (although that is a bonus) the BEST bit is when someone reads you major work and says to you: "I LOVED it. It made me laugh, it made me smile and it made me cry."

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i did a collection of short stories and it was great because i got to completely violate all the conventions.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
I did a critical analysis. Reasons: I eliminated everything else. Play to your strengths unless it's something you really want to do. Like i knew i wouldn't be able to write that much for poetry, and i feared that markers wouldn't understand what i wrote about or would think i was psychotic. Anyway, it was good because it allowed me to research something i wanted to research, as opposed to having to analyse something shoved down our throats by english teachers. I also used it as a way of exploring different readings of texts and researching them (i never really paid much attention to them before). It also helped my analytical skills in 2 and 3 unit!

Kyroth***

HSC
:D I, who originally asked the question, will now add my two cents!

I picked Video, eventually, because I loved the idea of creating multiple levels through layering visuals, sound, dialogue, etc etc, and I wanted to create something visually beautiful.
HOWEVER.
I figured I'd be able to borow equiptment from school, which was tricky. I also figured an outdoor shoot early in the morning barefoot at a river in the middle of winter in the Snowy Mountains wouldn't be a hassle. I also figured editing couldn't be that hard.
My point is that I'd only ever made one very basic video before, and I didn't have any equiptment. I would have been much better picking a story or poems, because all you need is a pen, and I have one of those.
So, the moral, do what you want to do, but try and make sure it's feasable. Make sure you are actually ABLE to do what you want to do.

J

jhakka

Thread closed.

Lynn and I want to do some work on this forum, including fresh threads for the Assessments. Stay tuned.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)