Globalisation essay qstn in HSC (1 Viewer)

coroneos

If there is a Globalisation question in HSC, can I talk about countries other than Australia? i.e. Thailand - Asian Crisis in 1997 etc.??

OR do i have to focus on Australia??

Nupil

HSC
N/A
There are two "globalisation" essay questions as you refer to them - but they draw from the two topics ... which are:

The GLOBAL Economy

and

AUSTRALIA and the Global Economy.

Going on the topic names alone, you'd wager that you'd need to know more then just Australia. However! Going on the past two year exam papers - one choice has focused on Australia and the other has focused on an economy OTHER than Australia.

You can make the choice to do which one you feel more condfident with - for example ... you may have a great case-study for another country, but last years question about protection policies - do you know enough about the other economy to be able to write an analytical essay?

And that's just going on the two papers - the "trend" over the two years has been one of Australia and one on overseas, but there's nothing that could very well stop them from having both Australia focused, or other economies focused.

Did that answer your question? And hell if the question is general enough - talk about both! Talk about say WTO policies and how they're affecting Australia, Japan, USA and India!

But that's my understanding of what you're asking ...

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the time, that Global questions tend to have one really broad one (ie, Impact of globalisation on Australia's economic performance) and one slightly narrower one (ie, exchange rates or protection)

In response to the original question - If the question asks for a general global question (see CSSA trial 2002), the u can use your thailand stuff. However if the question asked for AUSTRALIA"s performance (ie Topic 2, as Nupil said) then it would be slightly irrelevant

timmii

sporadic attendee
It's not as much as you may think you have to learn though. Once you understand the general characteristics of globalisation/global economy you can discuss it with reference to the world as a whole. If you know a few stats and have a qualitative grip on australia's progress in the past 20yrs you should also be able to manipulate ur info fairly well to spk about australia. Similarly, an understanding of another country can then be used specifically for the case study, and also to back up anything you may say about the global economy as a whole.

E.g globalisation has done *blah* as can be seen in *thailand/singapore/china/indonesia* as well as *blah* as may be seen in USA/euro area etc etc...Practice using ur info efficiently - if you know anything, throw it in in an effective manner, rather than thinking about it as finite pieces of info "oh this is topic 1, this is topic 2" etc etc :rolleyes:. To be honest, for my globalisation question last year, my first few pages was stock stuff from the text, then i kinda got bored and basically spoke about what i'd read in the economist over breakfast that morning...If you have general knowledge, use it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)