• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Globalisation (1 Viewer)

dancingirlteega

HSC
just a simple question.......

what does everyone think about globalisation and what it does to people and the world?

please answer, many thanks

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I'm fine with it being a general question (as opposed to a economics question), but I think it has extremely little to do in the context of the general HSC.

Close/move Wongy?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
dancingirlteega said:
what does everyone think about globalisation and what it does to people and the world?
I believe globalisation has helped countries around the world to form closer relations and links in many aspects like trade and sports. It has allowed us to appreciate the cultures and lifestyles of other nations and enhanced our understanding for each other.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Globalisation has also resulted in a lot of bad stuff, such as the creation of a financial market system that can destablise a country in mere hours thanks to momentum trading, global organisations which can be kicked around by the world's most powerful economies, and countries which are so powerful that they can shout at everyone else to drop trade barriers, but keep their own. But still, I like my cheap clothes and sport shoes. End cynicism overload.

I_F

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Ah if you're a little more specific I could answer this.
I can't be bothered now - As theres too much to explaiiiiin.

p-unit

HSC
but if there is total globalization china and india will take over the world economically
if you now what i mean

also it is more in favor of the less devloped countries rather than the devloped

Last edited by a moderator:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
p-unit said:
also it is more in favor of the less devloped countries rather than the devloped
Why then are all the countries at the bottom of the world before the globalisation era still at the bottom of the world now, whilst all the developed countries have stayed on top and even stretched their lead on the rest of the world? Globalisation has benefited advanced economices and newly industrialising countries most, with developing nations and transition economies mostly missing out.

I_F

Monstar

HSC
globalisation presents the international community with many.. pros and cons.

The basics of it is.. if your the most efficient you'll get your way.
If your not the most efficient the economy in question will undergo structural change.. ie australia has a declining manufacturing sector due to the fact we cant compete with the goods coming outta china (china efficient > aus efficieny) so we've expanded to a more service based economy and no we are making more ETM's.

Monstar

HSC
insert-username said:
Why then are all the countries at the bottom of the world before the globalisation era still at the bottom of the world now, whilst all the developed countries have stayed on top and even stretched their lead on the rest of the world? Globalisation has benefited advanced economices and newly industrialising countries most, with developing nations and transition economies mostly missing out.

I_F

this really depends, most developing nations and transistion economies are rurally based meaning IF the EU and US relieve the fat arse protection and subsidies they have on there ag goods.. developing nations and transistion economies will start to reap the benefits of globalisation

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Monstar said:
IF the EU and US relieve the fat arse protection and subsidies they have on there ag goods
Not going to happen. Well, not anytime soon, judging by the (lack of) progress of the Doha Round. By the way, we aren't doing too bad with manufacturing - exports of manufactures currently comprises about 20% of total exports, and that percentage has risen over the past decade or so.

This is really turning into an Economic Issues thread, isn't it? Should we move it?

I_F

p-unit

HSC
insert-username said:

I_F

corruption
what the fuck do you think
over 60% of goverment money is Embezzled where i come from
uganda in east africa
kenya is even worse
ofcoarse the govment figures are less but this firgure was by the leading independent news paper in uganda

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
That still doesn't explain why globalisation is "also it is more in favor of the less devloped countries rather than the devloped".

I_F

p-unit

HSC
insert-username said:
That still doesn't explain why globalisation is "also it is more in favor of the less devloped countries rather than the devloped".

I_F
well
if there was total globalistion
then the cheaper labour costs in the developing countries would mean they could prodcue cheaper good
also out sourcing is already happening india have jods that once were held you people in the dveploing world

you see what i mean

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
p-unit said:
well
if there was total globalistion
then the cheaper labour costs in the developing countries would mean they could prodcue cheaper good
also out sourcing is already happening india have jods that once were held you people in the dveploing world

you see what i mean
And the 90% of developing countries that are not India or China are tremendously better off, aren't they. And advanced economies like us aren't living in prosperity and comfort.

EDIT: This is sarcasm, for those who can't tell.

I_F

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
insert-username said:
And the 90% of developing countries that are not India or China are tremendously better off, aren't they. And advanced economies like us aren't living in prosperity and comfort.

I_F

We will continue to develop and prosper. Developed economies such as ours are currently going under structural change, Australia knows it can't compete with China etc when it comes to cheap manufactured goods...

So as developed countries continue to reap the benefits of globalisation, theoretically there standard of living starts to rise..

SO in australia, we are moving away from our traditional manufacturing roots and shifting towards a more services/ETM producing economy. Because as these developing economies start to become richer, they will demand more services. Currently australia is benefitting off economies like china and india cause we are resource rich and most asian countries have shit resources, So we continue to feed em with commodities like coal etc.

p-unit

HSC
Monstar said:
We will continue to develop and prosper. Developed economies such as ours are currently going under structural change, Australia knows it can't compete with China etc when it comes to cheap manufactured goods...

So as developed countries continue to reap the benefits of globalisation, theoretically there standard of living starts to rise..

SO in australia, we are moving away from our traditional manufacturing roots and shifting towards a more services/ETM producing economy. Because as these developing economies start to become richer, they will demand more services. Currently australia is benefitting off economies like china and india cause we are resource rich and most asian countries have shit resources, So we continue to feed em with commodities like coal etc.

finally someone who understand the concept

agree with you 100%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)