• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Glossary of Terms (1 Viewer)

V

val_dramaqueen

The exam is soon guys!! I thought i'd post this list of terms that i came across, might help, might not... but i hope it does! :p

conventions
common principles of form and/or style shared by performers and audiences, usually by tradition, but sometimes negotiated within the performance.

design concepts
the idea or vision of the designer, in consultation with the director, in interpreting the play for performance design elements include line, shape, space, colour, mood, atmosphere, visual and aural texture, scale and visual relationships.

directorial concept/vision
is based on the directors creative interpretation of the play's text, themes, characters, style, mood, structure and context. elements of drama include tension, focus, rhythm, space, movement, sound, time, symbol, mood, pace, pause and atmosphere, character/role, actor and audience relationship.

elements of production
include direction, dramaturgy, design, technical operation and stage management

forms
established sets of structural principles (sometimes rules) by which drama and/or theatre is produced and/or critically evaluated. Examples include historical forms such as Ancient Greek theatre, commedia dell'arte, melodrama, farce, or one of the forms of classical Asian theatre and recent forms such as community and event theatre, contemporary, avant garde performance, mixed media or drama on film.

performance style
refers to elements used in the realisation of a work in performance. Where the work is text-based, the written play-text itself will often imply the adoption of a certain performance style. Thus a text suggestive of a music-hall entertainment implies a music-hall style of presentation. It is also possible for a director to approach a work through a performance style alien to the original text (eg a Kabuki Shakespeare)

yes... there you have it... just basic stuff really.. feel free to PM or email me at val_dramaqueen@hotmail.com for questions or anything.
I think these terms were actually on the Board of Studies website... hmm.. not sure.
I also have a absurd essay on the resources part of the site..
cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)