• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Good/Bad Employees (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
What makes a good or bad employee? From people with experience in higher positions, how do you rate your employees?

Someone in another thread said they were looking forward to firing a girl they had been training - why doesn't she make it?

I was shocked when I saw an employee at a shop talk back to his manager and not do what the manager said, do you get many of those types of employees?

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
What makes a good or bad employee? From people with experience in higher positions, how do you rate your employees?

Someone in another thread said they were looking forward to firing a girl they had been training - why doesn't she make it?

I was shocked when I saw an employee at a shop talk back to his manager and not do what the manager said, do you get many of those types of employees?
People who talk back to me fucking piss me off.

I hate employees who "know their rights" and "know what I can't tell them to do."
They just use it all out of context.

But I don't get the people who treat supervisors like shit...we're nice, we have lives too. Why don't people like us? It's our job to tell people what to do, so why don't they understand that?

However, there are many, many employees who I like. I get along with almost everyone, mainly because I'm so immature and fun! lol, I do enjoy working with most people, so I hate to have a bitch about those I don't enjoy!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
a good employee is reliable, always turns up for shifts, is on time (95% of time... unavoidable causes excused), doesnt fight with the boss, if they have a disagreement they present it calmly to the supervisor, rather than yelling about it, they admit their mistakes and learn from them, they make themselves look presentable, and they are generally good at what they do, and make an effort to be helpful and friendly towards other staff and their employer.

A bad employee cancels shifts at the last minute, gets "sick" a lot, is often late, doesnt handle being told off well-ie argues back, doesnt admit mistakes, and doesnt learn from them, doesnt put offort into their appearance, never goes out of their way to help out the boss, or other employees, never does more then the most basic job requirements, and sometimes doesnt even fullfil those, whinges a lot, etc etc.

A really bad emloyee lies, steals, abuses property, is rude to customers etc etc

Of course it all depends on the work you are doing as to how these fit you. Eg, i work at a kennel, so it doesnt matter what i look like, and i dont deal with human customers. But if i neglect my duties, and a dog has no water or something, then thats a big deal.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks, i can't believe there are people out there who want a job and then complain, don't do what they are told or shout at their boss.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
well, my boss at one of my jobs is a sexist prick who keeps making inappropriate comments, and he doesent have a roster and tells everyone their shifts at the last minute and i am just waiting for this other job to hurry up and open their store so i can leave. so in the meantime i am a bad employee and i tell everyone how gross it is at my work so they dont buy any food and he loses their business and i hardly ever cover for sick people unless i want the money and i bludge heaps

deano059

HSC
biggles04 said:
People who talk back to me fucking piss me off.

I hate employees who "know their rights" and "know what I can't tell them to do."
They just use it all out of context.

But I don't get the people who treat supervisors like shit...we're nice, we have lives too. Why don't people like us? It's our job to tell people what to do, so why don't they understand that?

However, there are many, many employees who I like. I get along with almost everyone, mainly because I'm so immature and fun! lol, I do enjoy working with most people, so I hate to have a bitch about those I don't enjoy!
in a sense its good that some people out there 'know their rights' because u get managers at places like woolies and big w that treat the teenage employees like shit thinking theyre all high and mighty and superior over the young ones and think they can do as they wish...

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
deano059 said:
in a sense its good that some people out there 'know their rights' because u get managers at places like woolies and big w that treat the teenage employees like shit thinking theyre all high and mighty and superior over the young ones and think they can do as they wish...
hmmm, I was always one to know all of my rights at work before I was a manager.

Unfortunately you quoted me in the wrong context.

I did say "know their rights" which was a quote of employees. By this quote I mean that they use it in the wrong conext and 98% of the times this phrase is used is completely irrational.

kthnxbye

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Some people don't even realize they are bad workers.... basically they are just lazy people who seem ok when you hire them (as in they are friendly etc) but then you have to basically crack a whip under their ass continually to get them to do the job they are supposed to be doing....

Also, people who bicker and cause problems amongst the staff are a pain in the ass. Also people who whinge about stuff when they are getting good conditions and pay. I know what you mean about the people who "know their rights"..... I mean they rave on about every little tiny thing.... like I only got a 7 minute break when I am entitled to a 10 min break.... even though it is busy and they are getting paid some absurd amount because it is a public holiday or something....

Also people that pull sickies constantly with short notice or who show up late or not at all are a pain also.

Staff who steal are really bad news... also staff who have dodgy connections to people who they pass details of your business's security on to so that the dodgy bastards can break and enter and steal any money in the shop (and yes this situation has happened to our family once)

I think it comes down to the type of person you are as to whether you are a good worker.... it has a lot to do with your morals and motivation.... to me a good employee is friendly and gets along with people even if they don't particularly like them. They do their job willingly and proficiently, and don't let bullshit get in the way of performing their task. They need to have a reasonable amount of self motivation, and they need to be reliable.

I think it also goes a long way if the employee is appreciative if they have good working conditions and doesn't paint the boss as some sort of meanie when it isn't true. Esp in small business, the owner who works hard doesn't want to hear you complaining about stupid things when you are paid good wages and have good working conditions. I mean, it is work.... sometimes it is going to suck and a good employee will know that and keep on plodding on even if there may be some difficulties along the way. If you respect your manager/supervisor/store owner/whatever then they will probably be more willing to listen if you have a genuine problem.

I think that you have to learn to be a good worker. Nobody gets their first job and is a brilliant worker right away. You have to be taught and trained to be a good worker.... I mean that's why they have so many staff on at places where there are lots of really young people working... it's because they are all basically "in training" to become better workers.... looking at how I "worked" when I first started and how I work now shows me that I didn't know how to be a good/hard worker when I first started out because things that I used to think were hard are now easy or just second nature....

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
biggles04 said:
I did say "know their rights" which was a quote of employees. By this quote I mean that they use it in the wrong conext and 98% of the times this phrase is used is completely irrational.

kthnxbye
lol I agree with you completely.... I've worked with people who have used the phrase "I know my rights" to try and demand a 10 min ciggie break every hour, help themselves to free stuff, get another worker sacked because they didn't like them, etc. Half the time they use the phrase to request stuff that it just utter bullshit!

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
iambored said:

wow that person who wants to fire the girl is ME!!!! yay some one read my post lol

ok going by the girl i trained... if a new employee makes NO EFFORT to learn, has NO ENTHUSIASM, is LATE, doesnt work in a TEAM, is continually GRUMPY, and makes the place HARDER to function than without that person, GET RID OF THEM

if an older employee thinks they know it all and can slip under the radar, they suck too!!! this includes LAZINESS, LACK OF ENTHUSIASM, thinkin they know better than the managers, STEALING, and NO EFFORT to improve or learn more in diff areas... and DONT LISTEN TO THOSE IN AUTHORITY.... well they are bad employees.

also ppl who diss their work continually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)