• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Gore's contribution to Global warming awareness (1 Viewer)

S

SW@colo

Finally someone with influence is spreding the word on the greenhouse effect. My friends and I have been hoping for someone to highlight the potential danger if no action is taken to stop or minimise the future effect of global warming.

Gore has our thanks and respect.

Anyone else feel the need to educate and act?

---
Generator:

Global Warming

For now I'll leave this thread as it is, but in time I may merge it with the 'Global Warming' thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
It's easy for Gore to establish himself on a moral high ground now that he is not in any position of power or formal decision making...

The pertinent question is whether or not he would have adopted this approach and formulated subsequent policy if had been elected president... it is highly unlikely..

S

SW@colo

The lavoisier group was set up to ask questions about Environmental problems based on the theory of global warming.
Guess who funded this group, Corporations that stand to lose something by making the switch to more sustainable methods or people who are afraid of the changes that may take place.
The scientists that support the theory of global warming far outnumber those who don't
By all means the Lavoisier group presented by withoutaface, may be right, but what if they are'nt.

Lori.

HSC
I suggest you all see "An Inconvenient Truth", its really good :)
I was suprised to see how passionate Gore is about all of this, but i agree with Frog ^, if Gore had been elected president, what would be the chance that he could get the American people to 'quit' their addiction to oil? The global warming issue can't be solved by a handful of people, no matter how influential they may be, its up to everyone.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
This might be a small tangent, but Al Gore seems to be a busy man with all the morals...

How there is an unfairness for people to speak considering to broadcast on television, you have to be some major corporation. Failing that, you'd need some basic presenting skills. Not everyone has that, so he offers a pathway... I think it's a great idea... (I'm yet to wonder whether its effective.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/310806/gore_calls_broadcasters_embrace_internet

"Most of what is happening in the encounter between television and the internet has been the internet cannibalising television.

"What is needed is to reverse the flow and find ways to use the internet to give individuals access to the public forum, which is television. That's why I devoted the last six years to trying to find a pathway for this to happen."

Gore is the chief executive of Current TV, an American cable and satellite channel which has 30 per cent of its content generated by users.

According to Gore, the internet offered broadcasters the promise of "recreating a meritocracy of ideas with low entry barriers for individuals, a multi-way conversation in which individuals can not only find information they are searching for, but can also contribute information and then watch as its quality is judged."

He argued that for too long individuals had been shut out of political conversations and it was no wonder people felt they had no relevance to the democratic process. He cited the example of Italy, where control of the television broadcast signal had "changed the course of decision-making and the nature of democracy in the country".
Sorry for the tangent. It was Gore and morals, but if Generator doesn't find it relevant, delete away.

I'd like to see "An Inconvenient Truth", probably very soon.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
It's easy for Gore to establish himself on a moral high ground now that he is not in any position of power or formal decision making...
I doubt he would have appointed ex oil company employees to environmental posts.

I always liked Gore. I wonder what the world would be like today if he had become president? How would he have handled 9/11? Would have he handled it better than Bush maybe worse? No body will ever know. However I think he an intelligent man with many good ideas who perhaps isn't past his used by date. Time will tell whether he runs for president in 2008.

The democrats just have to forget the issue of gay marriage. They support gay marriage and they loose, its what cost them Ohio and the election last time 'round.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Good on Gore. It's about time someone started sticking up for the environment... we're fucked otherwise.

wheredanton said:
The democrats just have to forget the issue of gay marriage. They support gay marriage and they loose, its what cost them Ohio and the election last time 'round.
Even if they choose not to touch it the Republicans have a pretty hot campaign team - they'll bring it up, make it an issue and then the Democrats will be questioned on it. Then you've got your local southern papers to write about how they 'support gay marriage'.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I like what Gore is saying, it's good he is taking this issue seriously. It's just a shame it took so long. He has always made a relative amount of sense and presented himself well. He was a far better presidential candidate than Kerry.

wheredanton said:
They didn't support gay marriage last time. I heard the "between a man and a woman" line from both Kerry and Edwards countless times. They just opposed the possible constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, arguing that it was unnecessary. Supporting gay marriage in the U.S would be asking to lose the election.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
he wasnt the first.. there have heap of influential ppl going on about the environment in the past - nothing really has happened.. the environment either way u look at it. there is no point in wasting resources in trying to preserve this environment it would be better if science was focused on how to adapt - as we humans are so good at.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
HotShot said:
\there is no point in wasting resources in trying to preserve this environment it would be better if science was focused on how to adapt - as we humans are so good at.
Many would argue that we're wasting resources by not trying to preserve the environment.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
dieburndie said:
They didn't support gay marriage last time. I heard the "between a man and a woman" line from both Kerry and Edwards countless times. They just opposed the possible constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, arguing that it was unnecessary. Supporting gay marriage in the U.S would be asking to lose the election.
I don't think the south can tell the difference. You don't out and out say its evil they will read it as tacit support for satan.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
hahah that's pretty shonky
their 'proof' for this supposed heat/wave/renaissance period is just a kenneth clark series :p

anyways
if global warming is a problem then it's a good thing gore is doing something about it
personally i think the movie looks pretty boring
i know it's supposed to be reaching out on a popular form, but eh

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The Earth has natural warming and cooling trends. We are obviously experiencing a warming trend.

Our impact is mimimal and I am sick of hearing about how we are the sole cause of global warming.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
KFunk said:
Many would argue that we're wasting resources by not trying to preserve the environment.
what kind of statement is that? of course there will be people with different views. so what do you want to me to say as reply to ur phrase?

anyway.. with ur statement - exactly where is resources going if not preserving the environment and not looking to help humans adapt in the future... it has be to somewhere or at least in the middle somewhere.

think of this way u can keep the old datsun, preserve it.. give cleaner fuel... and wash it daily and spend a bit on it just to keep it going. or u can invest in a ferrari.. and zoom ur way through. the ferrari is the future and the datsun is wat ppl are trying to do now.. to preserve something that has aged.

when things get old it dies.. we all used to use the analog format.. in telecommunications.. and its pretty much dead --we look to the future and we have developed the digital network.

the same applies to the environment... we must look to the future preservation is the past it will not push us forward.

there were claim by some scientists that by 2020 Australia would be flooded. - as if?

banco55

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The Earth has natural warming and cooling trends. We are obviously experiencing a warming trend.

Our impact is mimimal and I am sick of hearing about how we are the sole cause of global warming.
Those damn scientists and their peer reviewed journals full of bs.

otay

HSC
Well, the problem I think many people have is hearing this from a politician. I mean Gore is no scientist, his words don't really mean that much to me. It is much more credible from perhaps, you know... a scientist. And I have been to countless lectures about Global Warming and its causes given by various professors. The thing that has struck me at every single one is the amount these guys are willing to extrapolate the current data to predict the trend. I mean if you look at the exponential curve it starts increasing fairly slowly, and then increases rapidly. Now these scientists with their graphs continue to show me the part where we are gradually increasing, and then just continue along the exponential curve as this is what is "bound to happen". I'm not sayin the Earth isn't getting hotter, I just don't buy that the amount it is increasing by is as great as they are saying, too much extrapolation.
And I can't stand those people (like the dude on Sunrise) who said "well Australia's hottest ever day recorded was in 1927, so we aren't gettin warmer". Comments like this are on the other side of ridiculousness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)