• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

government payments (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok i've seen the huge 'youth allowance' threads around and know a bit about that, but does anyone get rent assistance? is it possible to get it if you are living on campus at uni?
i'm going to une next year (deferred this year) and will be able to get youth allowance (i'll be 'independent') but not sure if i'll be able to claim rent assist as well?
thanks

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea agreed...

i asked centerlink and they said u need to show proof where u live, where abts ur parents live and give adaquate reason why u dont' live with ur parents.... and i heard the spearation has to be ridiculously far, like, if u live in orange and go to usyd or soemthing... o_O

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
so whats the requirement to get rent assistance? Do you have to be getting youth allowance or does it work as two totally different things?
is it like with the living away from home youth allowance rate that nat said you have to live like 90 minutes away? or does it go by something else?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
u get rent assistance if you are independent or depedent while living away from home to study...the are mutually independent allowances, meaning to say, you could get one without the other...or you could get both if you satisfy requirements

cayte

I don't understand why people don't ever seem to do their own research. Instead of asking students (who are notorious for spreading absurd rumours about everything), why don't you go to www.centrelink.gov.au and take a look at the site. And if you still have questions you're probably better off making the local call to talk to someone whoa ctually works for centrelink. I've never heard of a time or distance criteria for rent assistance. If you get the independent rate you should be eligible.

cayte

inasero said:
u get rent assistance if you are independent or depedent while living away from home to study...the are mutually independent allowances, meaning to say, you could get one without the other...or you could get both if you satisfy requirements
Oh, and you can't get rent assistance without youth allowance or some other pension.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
cool, im gonna go apply when i goto uni then.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i know people who live very far from home at uni and they don't get rent assistance

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah they didn't fit the criteria for some reason, i'm not complaining just stating for ballerinabarbie not everyone can get it.. i jsut read then she is independent though

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
cayte said:
I don't understand why people don't ever seem to do their own research. Instead of asking students (who are notorious for spreading absurd rumours about everything), why don't you go to www.centrelink.gov.au and take a look at the site. And if you still have questions you're probably better off making the local call to talk to someone whoa ctually works for centrelink. I've never heard of a time or distance criteria for rent assistance. If you get the independent rate you should be eligible.
did you ever think that maybe i did go to the website and read up about it and still not understand. So i thought hey maybe it would be better to ask people who DO receive it because they will know the criteria and what not.

Anyway thats pretty fucked up how you cant get rental assistance if you are not independant or dont receive youth allowance because your parents are above the threshhold. Just because they might make more than the threshold is doesnt mean they can support you living away from home. Yet those that get youth allowance pretty much immediately qualify. Chances are they are working, plus they are getting youth allowance and then rental assistance as well. Thats a hell of a lot of money in comparison to someone who works a casual job maybe 15 hours a week

cayte

There's no point in lodging your form early. It's a government department that deals with millions of people nationally and it will likely get lost. You won't get paid until you're eligible and if your form hasn't been processed by your eligibility date you will get back-pay.

The info is on the web-site if you look for it. The answers to all of Dazed's questions are on there and easy to find.

If ur independent and living away from home u dont need to provide proof of how far u live from study
Well exactly. Which is what she will be. So there's no time/distance/IQ stipulation. I live a fair whack away from home, but I've never heard of anyone having to prove how far from home they live in order to receive RA, particularly whilst independent.

cayte

*shrug* Fair enough. I lodged a fortnight early from hazy memory. I got six weeks backpay. It depends on the time of year.

Generator

HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
i heard the spearation has to be ridiculously far, like, if u live in orange and go to usyd or soemthing... o_O
Heh that is kind of funny, but it may well be true when/if USyd closes it's Orange campus :p.

Last edited:

cayte

Centrelink do not give scholarships per se. There were a huge number of scholarships that were introduced this year courtesy of the commonwealth government and their nerves at not having the student vote at the upcoming election. The primary eligibility requirement was that you be receiving a student allowance from Centrelink. I believe every government-funded university in the country was given an allocation to award to their students. USyd offered ~120 each of $2000pa and $4000pa awards this year, with a maximum 4 year tenure. But centrelink itself doesn't offer its own scholarships.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
Generator said:
Heh that is kind of funny, but it may well be true when/if USyd closes it's Orange campus :p.
didnt they sell it to csu

Ribbon

Let me apologise in advance I know everyone hates the smartass who posts the links to the info people claim they looked for but couldn't find...

Having said that, it took me less than 5 minutes to find these on the centrelink website:

Link to pdf with info on youth allowence eligibility
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/st002_0311/
$file/st002_0311en.pdf

Centrelink payment rates including rent assisstence
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co035_0408/$file/co035_0408en.pdf
Note: This publication says you are only eligable if you recieve the living away from home rate of YA. You have to pay at least $84.80 a fortnight to be eligable.

General rent assistence brouchure (not very helpful)
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ch010_0310/$file/ch010_0309.pdf

Rent assistence brocure for people boarding - says you may be able to get more RA if you are boarding but you still have to be recieving some other sort of payment from centrelink to be eligable
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/chra_0207/$file/ch006_0207en.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)