• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Graduate Job Hunting - Accounting (1 Viewer)

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Considering the current economic climate how is everyone doing with job hunting?

My GPA isn't all too impressive, making job hunting a pain up the :eek:.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I'm a B.Com graduating from UNCLE at the end of this year.

Have a fairly decent GPA and WAM, but this really only got me past the initial application stages. It has been tough, but to be expected in this climate.

Had two offers; one for Syd Water (offering 2 positions) and one for Leighton (offering 3 positions). I've withdrawn from IBM and NAB though.

All in all, you need at least a Credit average to be considered for any Grad Program these days. If you've got that, even if only just, then you've got your chance to prove your worth.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your GPA? Have you been working throughout uni study? What kind of extra-currics do you have?

If it's below a Credit Average, i'd look at applying to local firms and getting experience there before jumping across into somewhere bigger (if that's what you're after).

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
For a single commerce major, would accounting be the safest in this climate? I'll be graduating in 2013 though.

akqjt

HSC
Some one I know got a grad offer ($53,000) and they had a near pass average, no extra curricular activities (including no p/t job ever) and while he is not a bad person, he is far from confident/energetic etc that most places seem to ask for.

If he can do it, there is hope for any one.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
For a single commerce major, would accounting be the safest in this climate? I'll be graduating in 2013 though.
It really all depends. If you are intent on heading into accounting and sure of this, then I don't necessarily see anything wrong with doing a B.Com(Acc). What other areas might you be looking at?

It depends on where you apply to, what the culture of the company is, your extra currics, work experience, confidence, communication skills etc. For a lot of companies, the degree you complete is far from the crucial factor, even in this climate. I got to the final stage with Westpac's Business Banking and I met a guy there that was doing a Philosophy/Arts degree.

Obviously, if you broaden your options by doing a double degree you have more opportunities when it comes to grad, but if you are intent on following a certain path I don't see you would be improving your chances massively by studying extra fields.

That said, i'm doing a Acc/Fin double major but this decision was made as much through interest as it was because of job opportunities.

turtleface

HSC
Yeah it seems quite tough this year for job hunting for friends I know who are graduating at the end of the year. I haven't been on these boards for a while but when I was last here (like a few years ago) it was like the polar opposite. People were fielding multiple offers, now it's almost like nobody can get a job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)