• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graduate Medicine at Syd Uni (1 Viewer)

Med

HSC
hey guys,

just wondering if anyone knew whether or not hsc results played a role in the transfer process into Graduate Medicine at the uni of Syd.. ? i know the GAMSAT , GPA and interview come in.. but do your HSC results count once you have completed a 3 year degree.. ? i hear they still count at UNSW..

Thanks for the help.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
You dont transfer into Graduate med. You apply for it. HSC results play no part in gaining entry into any graduate medical course. UNSW will count your UAI if you attempt to transfer after 1 yr or 2yrs etc.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
actually unsw being gay as they are include the UAI even if you've graduated from 2 degrees and have been in the workforce for a few years (i dont think they include it if you did the HSC 10 or more years ago however)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes but the weighting is negligible, and why would you bother when you can do a 4 yr grad course.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ummmm
u didnt realli do tat well in ure undergrad course.. :) tats why..
ppl with certain backgrounds feel tat the GAMSAT disadvantages them heaps.. or they fcked it
so they do the UMAT :p

then do a 5 or 6 yr course and kinda learn from the start.. so its not so hectic

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
gamsat = $$
and it's damn scary, i was crapping myself in january when i was preparing for it...
like 3 folders full of crap to study..argh

dora_18

HSC
ok i need some help....preferably from someone whos doing graduate medicine @ sydney....i want to do med postgrad but this GAMSAT exam just freaks me out...i mean when i was at a lecture for it this year the chick said that she has students transferring from chinese literature studies and arts as well as science related areas....how can you pass the scientific aspects of the course with a course like that? and what is the preparation for this course like...do u receive manuals or notes or anything or are you just expected to prepare for it yourself?....im doing health science this year...anyway id appreciate any replies!!! thanks

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
ok i need some help....preferably from someone whos doing graduate medicine @ sydney....i want to do med postgrad but this GAMSAT exam just freaks me out...i mean when i was at a lecture for it this year the chick said that she has students transferring from chinese literature studies and arts as well as science related areas....how can you pass the scientific aspects of the course with a course like that? and what is the preparation for this course like...do u receive manuals or notes or anything or are you just expected to prepare for it yourself?....im doing health science this year...anyway id appreciate any replies!!! thanks
It doesn't matter which bachelors/undergraduate degree you study, what matters is your GPA and GAMSAT score to score you an interview and finally a place in one of the uni's that offer Graduate med.

You study for the science aspects of the GAMSAT i.e. Yr 12 Physics and First Yr Chem and Bio although rote learning isn't recommended or enough - There are gamsat prep courses and manuals out there on sale in GAMSAT forums such as ausmedstudent, yahoo gamsat and paging dr home. Most of the preparation for the humanities sections requires you to read comprehensively and write under 30-40min [is this right?] time limits. So you need to think fast and logically arrange your ideas into a cohesive argument in very limited time.

That's my 2c on the deal anyway. I plan on GAMSATing in my third year with B. Science/Arts as my undergraduate degree, there's plenty of sites esp international [UK] offering advice and detailing personal experience studying for and ultimately getting into Med.

Q

Quynh nhu

if you wanna study pharmacy in uni, do you have to sit for a test during yr 12 or something?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dora_18 said:
its suppose to test ure ability to critically absorb information.. and use it.. .

the basis of the exam is about yr12-1st yr uni science levels.. its not suppose to be an advantage if u have a science background.. but i hear some ppl say it is..

there are ppl from Usyd BComm/BLaw in Usyd grad med so they figured a method to over come the non-science problem

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well im just saying a studying a science isnt really needed... :)

mabbe but after yr 12.. the UAI is just another hurdle.. and is worthless after a point

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
Just a quick q...
Is it true that the Usyd grad med program has a certain amount of places 'reserved' for people doing medical science or advanced science at Usyd?

Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)