• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graduate Medicine? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm planning on doing nursing and early childhood Ed next year, but was also considering Medicine. If I got my nursing degree, I could work part-time as RN, which would be great, but is this an OK degree to be doing if I plan on eventually applying for Medicine eventually? What Uni's offer it as a graduate course? I know Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne and Flinders do, but does UNSW, or Newcastle? Maybe ANU?

Thanks

Soul

New Title...
hey,

My tutor was an ex- nurse and she considered doing medicine, i think they cut off some time because you'd already know a little medicine by then....

I think you'd be best advised to talk to a uni careers advisor

sif not 99

i know for USYD that the degree that you do is not relevant as it is purely on Grade point average, the GAMSAT test and an interview (if you make it that far). Im sure the nursing would not be a negative if you were to make it as far the interview.

The thing is for the GAMSAT, correct me if I am wrong, you need a Year 12 knowledge of physics, and a first year uni knowledge of Chem and Bio, thats where doing a science based degree comes in handy.

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by sif not 99
The thing is for the GAMSAT, correct me if I am wrong, you need a Year 12 knowledge of physics, and a first year uni knowledge of Chem and Bio, thats where doing a science based degree comes in handy.
I think you have to have at least HSC Chem and it is recommended that you do Physics and Bio.
Some of my friends is sitting for it.

jnothman

dismember
HSC
GMP (University of Sydney's Graduate Medical Programme) is based on PBL and as a graduate course requires a lot of work for the student. Because of this, it's useful for people to already have some experience in studying areas such as Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Physiology, etc although it will all be covered again.

They also give you a chance to catch up in the GMP if you are less advantaged in these areas by not having any exams until the second year of the course.

Obviously though you would need some ability to get in on the GAMSAT.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
if i do biomed engineering combined with science would that help me thru gamsat?

crackerj

HSC
N/A
Brief Info on USYD GMP

To get into the USYD GMP, several things are required.

Firstly, to receive an interview, you need to have 'balanced' scores of GAMSAT. There are 3 sections in GAMSAT - humanity, essay and science - and USYD considers each sectional score. You need to get 50 percentile (the score of 57 in this year and last year) in EACH section... e.g. if you did well in science and essay but got less than 57 in humanity, you won't get an interview....This is UNIQUE to this university.

Therefore you don't have to be a science hardcore to get an interview from the USYD GMP. Therefore choosing a degree in the area of science is not imperative, but helpful in preparing for your study in medicine.

Then after you get 5.5 GPA with sufficient GAMSAT scores, you will get an interview. At this stage, all it counts is an interview.... if you screw it, you are gone.

Therefore for USYD, if you have a minimum academic requirement, all you have to worry about it an interview....... hence people who have a degree in health-related areas such as nursing would be very beneficial in the interview... but not imperative, of course...

The interview performance is scored as the 1 ~ 5 scale with 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest. If there are many applicants who got '3', they will be judged on the basis of the performance of GAMSAT. HOWEVER essentially, admitted applicants usually get 1 or 2 in their interview. So getting a high high GAMSAT scores will not be that helpful for getting into USYD medicine but who knows? :).

This info is based on my experience..... I got into this course this year.

T

taketheredone

Originally posted by crackerj
Brief Info on USYD GMP .................

Thanks for the informations on Usyd Medicine ........ I have one little question :Is this USYD GMP a hesc course ? :confused:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, it is a graduate course. That means it is like an Undergraduate course for financial purposes, but requires a bachelors degree for entry. Hence, you pay HECS.

Also, when I asked at USyd and UNSW they told me that no course (except other Medicine courses like B Med and MBBS) give advanced standing in Medicine. That is, don't expect to have less subjects to study in the GMP because you completed Nursing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)