Graduate of '07 willing to help students of '08 with Frontline (1 Viewer)

irish--cottage

HSC
:) woo! your just the person im looking for! we've only just started frontline n we're in holidays atm. our teacher wanted us to come up with at least 2 supplimentry texts over the holidays... im stumped, any ideas?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
It's been a while since my HSC. But I believe you guys can still choose your own texts from any genre right?

For Frontline, you're focusing on the truth, so aim for anything that might not have transparency. Newspaper Articles are always good for this.

Typically for this module, teachers give you supplementary texts.

Natasha.1990

HSC
Any chance that anyone has any of the transcripts for add sex and stir and night of nights at all?

Natasha

zahmad

HSC
Natasha.1990 said:
Any chance that anyone has any of the transcripts for add sex and stir and night of nights at all?

Natasha
I'm guesing aliyosufi didn't e-mail them to you?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
It's been a while since my HSC. But I believe you guys can still choose your own texts from any genre right?

For Frontline, you're focusing on the truth, so aim for anything that might not have transparency. Newspaper Articles are always good for this.

Typically for this module, teachers give you supplementary texts.
Actually the major focus (as the module) should be representation.

Also, it's not really about finding texts that lack transparency but rather, understanding the relationship between representation and meaning (from the syllabus) and so how the construction of truth defines and shapes our understanding.

For related material, newspaper articles are still good but be careful of focusing on the hyperbolic notion of 'fabrication' 'manipulation of truth' 'misrepresentation' et al; rather you'd want to comment on how the composer represents a specific viewpoint / idea and how the responder then subjectively responds to this version of truth (also from the syllabus ie covering both the constructor and receptor of representations so that a more holistic vision can arise).

Political pamphlets, satirical literature (Swift, Pope, Dryden, Twain, Dickens), neoclassical/victorian poetry and in the Australian context, publicised events such as Lindy Chamberlain are all related texts that have fared strongly (from experience) in past HSCs.

p.s. If your teachers give you supplementary texts (which is not advised) try to change it up by the HSC. Many markers have commented on the repetitiveness of reading the same analysis done for the same episodes, and the same ideas covered in the same related texts at different marking centres across the state.

kettlegirl

HSC
Bobness said:
Actually the major focus (as the module) should be representation.

Also, it's not really about finding texts that lack transparency but rather, understanding the relationship between representation and meaning (from the syllabus) and so how the construction of truth defines and shapes our understanding.

For related material, newspaper articles are still good but be careful of focusing on the hyperbolic notion of 'fabrication' 'manipulation of truth' 'misrepresentation' et al; rather you'd want to comment on how the composer represents a specific viewpoint / idea and how the responder then subjectively responds to this version of truth (also from the syllabus ie covering both the constructor and receptor of representations so that a more holistic vision can arise).

Political pamphlets, satirical literature (Swift, Pope, Dryden, Twain, Dickens), neoclassical/victorian poetry and in the Australian context, publicised events such as Lindy Chamberlain are all related texts that have fared strongly (from experience) in past HSCs.

p.s. If your teachers give you supplementary texts (which is not advised) try to change it up by the HSC. Many markers have commented on the repetitiveness of reading the same analysis done for the same episodes, and the same ideas covered in the same related texts at different marking centres across the state.

I haven't checked this site for awhile as you can see - that's why I left me EMAIL.

Anyways, what bobness has said is perfect - very intelligent summary of what needs to be done for this Module.

Anymore questions please forward to my email - lifesjustpeachesncream@hotmail.com

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
kettlegirl said:
I haven't checked this site for awhile as you can see - that's why I left me EMAIL.

Anyways, what bobness has said is perfect - very intelligent summary of what needs to be done for this Module.

Anymore questions please forward to my email - lifesjustpeachesncream@hotmail.com
Cheers.

I (and i'm sure the 08 students as well) appreciate the fact you are offering help :)

brose

HSC
kettlegirl said:
Hello,

If any students need any help with this let me know via email - lifesjustpeachesncream@hotmail.com

hi kettlegirl.

ive gotta use 2 frontline episodes and 2 supplementary texts two write a speech on how media tells the truth. for my supplementary texts i was thinking Good News Week and the movie Bowling for Colombine. wot do u think??
thnx:)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
here are some that suggest that you can use

- Homer badman simpsons
- Hallowmen (by rob stitch et al currently on ABC about politics)
- Othello (examine closey, esp. Iago and Othello complex)
- Drop the Dead Donkey (old show)
- News Team (An Icelandic movie about Journalism and the iraq war)
- The Mrs. Rambo iraq inccident (when she got all pumped and took all the guys out, then revealed that nothing really happened) recent
- Virtual Nightmare (V.Good i used this) movie circa 1999 if i remember right

just a few ideas to throw out there

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
brose said:
hi kettlegirl.

ive gotta use 2 frontline episodes and 2 supplementary texts two write a speech on how media tells the truth. for my supplementary texts i was thinking Good News Week and the movie Bowling for Colombine. wot do u think??
thnx:)
You may need to actually email kettlegirl (as she has said) to get a reply. However just some of my thoughts.

Is the actual question 'how the media tells the truth'? Because from a teacher's perspective, that is a very limiting question in the sense that you must focus on mass media. Just to put things into perspective, in the HSC (and common trials such as CSSA, Independent et al) they would never provide such a specific question as the focus 'telling the truth' is normally one of the most significant things to consider (along with representation and text - see my earlier posts in thread).

Also, markers in the HSC have commented in the past on student's reductive and unnecessarily limited focus on 'media' and how they are 'bad' and 'manipulate' the truth. To put it simply, it has become a cliche and an almost ironic cliche in using this as the crux of one's thesis now.

I say all this because again generally, 'media' shows like Good News Week are not the best texts to choose. If you are studying Frontline which is already a satirical, behind-the-scenes look at a current affairs program, then choosing a somewhat similar text with similar format may make it difficult to show you have wide reading and gained insight into the "various modes of production in media" (almost verbatim from the syllabus).

Also, Bowling for Columbine is not the strongest as it is a VERY popular text (with substantial notes in the BoS resource section) and is also focused on America. Again generally, there are some English teachers who are very fond of 'Australian' texts (we do live in Australia after all) and since Frontline is located in a distinctive temporal milieu based on actual domestic events, then it is usually better to look at 'Australian' "events, personalities and situations" (ibid). As i earlier stated, the Chamberlain incident and feature articles found in SMH, DT, TA (The Australian) have all fared well in the past.

Having said that though, i did mentor one student last year who decided (against my advice) to analyse Bowling for Columbine where his final HSC mark was 92. So that's not to say you can't do well, just again what the rest of the state may be doing!

luridlysteph14

HSC
I find that I'm better at answering questions with my own spin on them if I understand the concept a little better.

you were saying not to focus so much on the coin words of 'misrepresentation' and 'fabrication' etc, and I was wondering, does that extend to using the media as an example, as well?

I was thinking of using Homer Badman, an episode of the Gruen Transfer and perhaps a Lindy Chamberlain article from SMH (rather than DT), but it also occured to me to use Atonement by Ian McEwan, or The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, because it deals with incorrect evidence, or the concealment of the truth rather than the misrepresentation.

I was thinking that, using the example of misquoting someone in Add Sex & Stir, that by purposely leaving out something (a lie, in Atonement and concealing the existance of Mary in da Vinci) a subjective audience can believe what they chose to believe based on the circumstances. The "evil" fabricator doesn't always have to be the media, it can be a person with an intent.

Is that correct, from your knowledge?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
luridlysteph14 said:
I find that I'm better at answering questions with my own spin on them if I understand the concept a little better.

you were saying not to focus so much on the coin words of 'misrepresentation' and 'fabrication' etc, and I was wondering, does that extend to using the media as an example, as well?

I was thinking of using Homer Badman, an episode of the Gruen Transfer and perhaps a Lindy Chamberlain article from SMH (rather than DT), but it also occured to me to use Atonement by Ian McEwan, or The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, because it deals with incorrect evidence, or the concealment of the truth rather than the misrepresentation.

I was thinking that, using the example of misquoting someone in Add Sex & Stir, that by purposely leaving out something (a lie, in Atonement and concealing the existance of Mary in da Vinci) a subjective audience can believe what they chose to believe based on the circumstances. The "evil" fabricator doesn't always have to be the media, it can be a person with an intent.

Is that correct, from your knowledge?
Well, misrepresentation is actually not a bad term as it is derived from the module title 'representation and text'. This applies also for presentation of facts and representative (ie for govt / politics).

However, yes 'manipulation' and 'fabrication' are very overused terms that will not likely see teachers award you for insightful expression and analysis. And as you have identified, this applies to using the cliche of 'media is bad' or 'media achieve this' as well. After all, the elective 'telling the truth' includes prescribed poetry (Hughes) and non-fiction (Robertson).

Also the constructor who has a personal agenda (much stronger than 'evil' fabricator) most definitely does not have to be the media (and often are not) but simply powerful institutions / individuals - in the syllabus this is covered as "personalities".

Feature articles are strong related texts, though you may wish to rethink Homer Badman as it is a film text - like Sitch et al's Frontline. The techniques and effects do become repetitive after awhile, and they are looking for "various textual forms" and how they shape "relationships between representation and meaning" in the syllabus.

Best wishes with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)