Gran Torino as related text (1 Viewer)

kdzz

HSC
Well, I want to use Gran Torino as my related text for belonging, as it seems to share alot of thematic similarities to Romulus My Father, which is our set text.
Sadly, there isn't much analysis of it on the internet, except for movie reviews, so I thought it might be good for anyone else considering Gran Torino to have some discussion of it outside of PMs.
Did anyone use it last year?
What aspects of belonging are "explored", etc?

Themes as I see them:
- A lack of familial belonging (war veteren, blue collar Walt's estrangement from his suburban yuppie son, and his selfish, sultry granddaughter) contrasted against the strong communal atmosphere of the Hmong family next door.
- A sense of loss regarding his neighbourhood (community) - Walt has perceived a connection between the arrival of his Hmong neighbours and the many gangs (not just Hmong) that have appeared on his streets.
- Cultural dislocation of the Hmong people causing a vacuum of belonging/identity for the young people, making them feel as though a gang is the only way to belong to something.

Eh, nothing special or polished, just what I have thought of so far.

GO TEAM, GO!

1981Grant

HSC
srsly you can do almost anything for a related text for belonging. Gran Torino's good because you can draw on cultural tensions, etc in shaping a sense of belonging/identity and heaps of other crap. Its a good text, if you're not bothered to analyse it though why use it?

I would recommend 'Refugee Blues' by W.H Auden, it's all about exclusion.

CecilyMare

HSC
Gran Torino is a great text. And due to its popularity you could probably find a lot of professional literary critics essays on it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)