• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Great Gatsby related material (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
For an assessment/exam I have to write an essay:
Consider the importance of the values, attitudes and beliefts in your set text and one other text.

Wondering if anybody has any ideas on what to do that can correlate with Gatsby. We did Pretty Woman in school, but just looking at my options. Preferabbly something of a diff text type..
thaanks

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i'd advise you to post on the year 11 thread then, cos Year 12's don't do Gatsby for a text (although most of us will have had at sometime in the past)

comment on the attitudes of the Jazz Age in the US and how it was an image (prohibition etc)

i really think you'd get more from the Year 11's.

good luck!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i dont have any ideas for related texts .. but i have just done a great gatsby essay ... go on about the american dream and illusions and stuff

oh for related text, you could try the movie AMERICAN BEAUTY

HSC
N/A
Two texts I studied in Yr 11 were Gatsby and The Crucible (it's a play, although it's also been made into a movie). They're interesting texts to cross-examine, also quite different (yet can be linked)- one is all about the American Dream (see sparknotes for more details) and the other is about Witch Hunts in Puritist England.

This is a complete stab in the dark but you might also be able to use "Almost Famous" (film) as a related text...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
American Beaty is PERFECT as a linking text to Gatsby (although i still maintain you should be posting this thread in the Year 11 forum)

Caroline and Daisy are paralled -- both are the perfect "American" girls.

i just gave all my notes on Gatsby/AB to a year 11 friend... sorry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)