• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Greek World oral presentation (1 Viewer)

aeraw

"Evaluate the importance of naval strength for the Greeks in the period 499-440BC."
Does anyone have any notes specifically on this topic? They're scarce on the Internet and I havent been able to find anything in any libraries as of yet, any help would be appreciated...

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
You really need to be looking at Themistocles for this
- look at Plutarch he wrote a chapter on him,
- Bury and Meiggs
- Bradley - quotes good ones
- Ehrenberg
- Herotodus
- Thucydides
- sealy
Just a couple to get u started

aeraw

Yes the only problem with that I had was it wasnt specifically on the "importance" of naval strength, I was leaning towards hypothetical situations and the outcomes had there been a weak naval force. How could you link his contributions to the question?

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
In questions which asks for an explanation of the importance, i have found it best that you speculate on what would happen if there wasn't a navy. To prove how important something is, take it out of the equation and see what come out.

Like... " If the Greek Navy had not been as powerful as they had been, the war would have been severely effected in many ways. For one thing, the supply lines of the Persians through the Aegean would not have been harassed, and the Persian Army would not have suffered the tremendous loss of morale and discipline that stemmed from poor logistics."

Thats a very basic and minor point, i am not going to spell out all the different situations for you.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
He just said that he wanted something other then hypothetical situations

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
I'm saying why the navy was inmportant in each individual battle, plus how being a naval power was necessary to counter the Persian strategy ie supply troops with ships.
Question refers more to being a naval power (compared to Persia) rather than just the uses of the navy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)