• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grrr @ prefrences (1 Viewer)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Hey
Im just looking to see if anyone can give me some advice with my prefrences.
You see I wanna do secondary teaching in the arts/design/multimedia area and a lot of the UAI are really high so my careers adviser said to just choose somethign that I like and do an education course in the last year of study. But Im a little confused as all the places Im going to dont offer those other than if you do it as a double degree. Som of my courses will allow me to be a teacher still but others like media communications won't...

So here's the problem. I dont know what to put down...som places are in Coffs Harbour and Im not keen on moving ther unless I have to so naturally they have been put 9th and 8th. I really wanna go to COFA at UNSW so I put those courses 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but only the 1st option allows me to teach. 5, 6 and 7 allow me to be a teacher but they are in newcastle and canberra.. again Im sydney based annd aint keen on moving unless I have to. But then if I put COA stuff first and dont get the 1st one.. there is no seperate education course .. so am I screwed?

Can someone help me? cos my careers adviser just confused me even more.

Also p.s.... the courses that I have chosen outside Sydeny have much lower UAIs then the ones in sydney so if I put them before the non teacher ones then Ill prolly get them and have to move ... but if I dont aI may get a non-teaching one...so confused

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
natstar said:
Anyway...U can always do an extra 1 year Dip of Education after your normal 3 year degree. So you dont always have to have a teaching degree combined with the degree in the area u want to teach in.
Really? cool.. thats so great... thankyou

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Yup, a LOT of the science people I know are planning on doing a DipEd after their degree...you'd be surprised how many teachers get in that way, rather than doing B Teach/B xxx

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
The DipEd is a fall back that most of the people I went to uni with considered and hardly anyone followed through with. It's just another year and would make it possible to find a job in the schools sector.

Put the courses you want to do in order of UAI as that is what you will be offered a place in. It's not much use putting a high UAI course after a low UAI one as the low UAI one will get offered.

If you just want to teach multimedia there are a lot of places that will take you with a Cert IV in Workplace T&A but you won't be teaching in High Schools.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
Put the courses you want to do in order of UAI as that is what you will be offered a place in. It's not much use putting a high UAI course after a low UAI one as the low UAI one will get offered.
Its actually not advised to do that, you should order your preferences in terms of what you actually want, rather than what has the highest UAI
A lot of people I know ordered based on UAI cutoffs and are now in degrees which they hate/dislike simply because they got high enough marks to get in, rather than what they truly wanted to do.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I would expect by this stage most people put in courses they want to do, so ordering by UAI would be the next logical ordering step.

What is the use of having something ordered as follows?
1. Course A - 90
2. Course B - 85
3. Course C - 60
4. Course D - 70

Wouldn't course D be just absolutely useless being there anyway as Course C would be your offer if you received a UAI of say 84 totally making Course D useless filler?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I see your point, but if you want course C more than you want D, then it should be above D regardless of cutoffs.
Its like the people who do med, law, or other high entry courses simply because they have the UAI to get in, its absolutely pointless if its not truly what they want to do.
I know of people with their preferences ordered (UAIs random figures) something resembling:
A-85
B-80
C-78
D-74
And got into B, whilst really wanting to do D, and are now relatively miserable in their courses and wish they had have ordered
A-74
B-78
C-85
D-80

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
But that's their own fault for even putting them in. They may have thought at the time they would have liked to do those courses otherwise they would not have put them in at all.

Once you have a set of courses you can pretty much lose the ones with a high UAI if you are only going to put them below something with a lower UAI because you will never get an offer for it.

Yes people might put high UAI courses up just to see if they can get in but it is absolutely useless if they never wanted to do that course in the first place as they would then have to wait until the next round to reapply and be in limbo for a little while longer.

If you sort the courses by what you want to do and find a higher UAI one below a lower UAI one the conclusion you should reach is that you really do not want to do it or you have made a mistake in the ordering. Also if you sort by UAI and find a high UAI one in a position where you don't want it then you know you might have to decide exactly what it is you want.

Only in freak instances where the low one rises rapidly and the high one drops rapidly would that change and even then you would have to fall in between the range of change of the two to get the lower ranked choice.

Chances are whatever you start with you will not be finishing with anyway, people change degrees, they drop out, they change majors, they change uni and so forth.

Edit: When I did my choices it was the dream courses first, followed by the courses I would be happy with and finally those courses that would just get my into ANY COURSE at ANY UNI so I would have something to do while waiting for a transfer. And they all were ranked in descending TER cutoffs.

Last edited:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Yeah I was told that also...not that it helped me in making decisions lol but I was always told that as you dotn really know what the uai is gonna be

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
personally, i think, if there are two courses that you can literally not separate, go on cutoffs. but other than that, order in terms of what you would be most happy doing.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I was told also, to put preferences in order of what we want, rather than highest to lowest UAI. UAI's can go up and down remember
True I guess, you might get a freakish course combination that changes cutoffs significantly.

but you'll have a better idea once you get your UAI anyway.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Yeah Im just kinda hangin for my UAI... cos chances are Im gonna have to change my prefrences again so that I get something... watch me.. Dec18th ill be discetiing my UAC guide for couses that Im eligable for

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Even then you might hit some courses that change like these did
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=46266

acmilan said:
B Teaching/B Arts (secondary-computing)(ACU) 2003: 66.40, 2004: 76.10
B Theology (ACU) 2003: 62.75, 2004: 75.05
B Asian studies (ANU) 2003: 70.00, 2004: 80.00
B Arts/ B Secondary Education (Southern Cross) 2003: 70.00, 2004: 85.00
B Nursing B Arts in Internation Studies (UTS) 2003:77.95, 2004: 86.90
B Arts (UWS) 2003: 66.00, 2004: 74.00
B Adult Education (UWS) 2003: 77.00, 2004: 64.30
B Software Engineering (USYD) 2003: 94.90, 2004: 86.70

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
hey....
Lets just say I dont get any of my prefrences (god forbid) could I do the education diploma first then try to get my course the next year? Where do you do the diplomas anyway?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Most people call it a DipEd but in reality it's classed by the unis as a Graduate Diploma of Education or PostGraduate Diploma of Education which means you need an undergraduate award before attempting it. A lot of unis offer it, look in the postgraduate section on their Education faculty sections.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
heh Ive changed my pfrefrences like colse to 100 times... anyone else done te same?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No but I have a gut feeling I might be changing them close to the cutoff (wondering in my mind whether I want to do my 1st or 2nd) so Im leaving them for now until I get close to the cutoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)