Guidance to drop HSC Food tech and exam with only 10 units (1 Viewer)

bgk1

HSC
N/A
Hello All, I'm seeking advice on the possibility of dropping one of my HSC subject. I'm currently in Year 11 (Term 4, beginning of Year 12) and enrolled in thirteen units. My intention is to discontinue one subject, which would allow me to better manage my time and focus on 11units rather than 13(Maths ext, English adv, Economics, Business studies, Biology and Food tech) Specifically, I'm considering discontinuing food technology due to its lower scaling, a perspective shared by many who have gone through this phase. Additionally, I'd like to know the value of taking HSC exam with only 11 units, as the school typically recommends taking 12 units. I'm keen to hear your insights and recommendations in this regard.

yang1209

HSC
I will come back to this post after I get my atar, I am doing Wood Tech for HSC and I think the scaling is the same across all Industrial Tech subjects.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hello All, I'm seeking advice on the possibility of dropping one of my HSC subject. I'm currently in Year 11 (Term 4, beginning of Year 12) and enrolled in thirteen units. My intention is to discontinue one subject, which would allow me to better manage my time and focus on 11units rather than 13(Maths ext, English adv, Economics, Business studies, Biology and Food tech) Specifically, I'm considering discontinuing food technology due to its lower scaling, a perspective shared by many who have gone through this phase. Additionally, I'd like to know the value of taking HSC exam with only 11 units, as the school typically recommends taking 12 units. I'm keen to hear your insights and recommendations in this regard.
I'd say drop it, if you're confident in your other 11 then you may as well! I'm on the bare 10 units and I'm very glad I made that choice. You're probably better off having more free time to prioritise your other, more difficult (and more rewarding) subjects. With 11, you still have that bit of reassurance that your worst performing subject will contribute less toward your overall mark. However, there's no right answer when it comes to the number of units you should do, every option has its pros and cons, so just do what you think is best for you!

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
there’s no harm in having a backup unit in case things go bad but if you’re not doing amazing in food tech and/or don’t enjoy it, then yeah drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)