• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

[guide]: How to earn a job while in high school or university (1 Viewer)

BlueBerrySun

Banned
HSC
1.0 This is a concise guide on HOW TO EARN A JOB WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL OR UNIVERSITY.

2.0 BEST-PAYING JOBS WHICH ARE FEASIBLE
As a High School or University student, you need to accept the fact that you will NOT ordinarily get a job that pays any more than $35 an hour, regardless of your ATAR. Having said that, there are a list of best-paying jobs which are feasible, and these examples are listed below, although it should be noted that this is not a comprehensive list:

1. Woolworths
  2. Coles
  3. McDonald's
  4. KFC
  5. Hungry Jacks
  6. Myer
  7. Target
  8. K-Mart

You should be able to earn a solid $15-$25 an hour with these jobs. Do not aim to work as a legal receptionist at a top-tier law firm, an assistant prosecutor, or a CEO of a big company. It does sound silly, but students who graduate with high ATARs often think they can "take on the world". This feeling is only natural, but you need to realise that it is only a feeling and it does not reflect the reality that those positions often require at least a university degree. Tutoring is good, but it will not earn you the same money: You might have 4-5 students a week paying $35/hr, but this is not sustainable and you will eventually need a more stable source of income.

3.0 APPLICATION PROCESS
Identifying which jobs are feasible and well-paying is easy. The next step is the application process. Each company has their own application process. McDonald's, for example, has an application process online. You can Google it to get to that page, and from there you should apply. Remember: positions are very competitive, and you need to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Trust me, a lot of High School and University students are desperate for a casual or part-time work, meaning if you submit an ordinary application coupled with an ordinary resume, you will just be "part of the pack". It is the person who goes that extra step, has that extra qualification, that will invariably get the job.

How do you distinguish yourself? There are several ways:

1. Raw talent. If you already have work experience, a strong ATAR, a good report card, reliable references, and other skills relevant to the job, you are 75% there. But not everyone has these things. Indeed, there are many who don't, and struggle to find a job because they don't stand out from the rest of the applicants.
2. A convincing resume. Simply by using words, you can make yourself stand out. Your resume should have strong and simple words that touch the reader, having a poignant effect on them. Do not think you can write your own resume and be fine. Having been friends with many ATAR 99.5+ students, I know as a matter of fact that many of them get their rich parents to write their resume, or order an expensive one online. You must be ahead of the game. Personally, I used to recommend looking at sample resumes online, but these are always dodgy and riddled with grammatical and spelling mistakes, indicating a lack of proofreading and ultimately a lack of professionalism.
3. Good interpersonal skills. The employer might think that you and a few other persons are potential candidates, and invite you to a group session with the other candidates to determine who is best for the job. Put simply, if you do not have the charisma and charm, you will not get accepted no matter what your ATAR is. Honestly, there is no way to teach charisma and charm. It's something that you are born with, and you might be able to improve it a little bit, but not much. The blonde, decent-looking girl will always get the job over the scrawny nerd. I know it sounds harsh, but it's true. As a second year law student, I have even seen High School students, particularly attractive young females, get jobs at mid-tier law firms, with a pay rate of $35/hr+. Please don't call me a sexist. Call me a realist because that is the truth. Basically, this third aspect of interpersonal skills boils down to who you are and what interpersonal skills you are born with. The rest is left up the employer.

4.0 ACCEPTANCE
If you have gotten up to this stage, well done. There is nothing more to say other than: Be a good employee and don't stuff up. In today's economy it is very hard to find a job, so value what you have and treat it with extreme care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)