• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Guitar Question. (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Hey everyone, how would you play the "Intro/Verse" to this song? I have trouble when it moves to the fifth fret. By the way, for the "guitar 2" section, are they arpeggios? Thanks for any help:).

HSC
i havent heard the song, but the way i would finger it (judging by the chord changes) would be to press 5th fret on the E string with my ring finger, 5th fret on A string with my pinky, and 4th fret on A string with my second finger.

and all an arpeggio is is playing the notes of a chord separatley.

Jase

HSC
woo! death cab for cutie!!..

well i can't really tell "how" to play it.. there are many ways you could put the fingering for that 5th fret thing. but i'd personally put my ring finger on 5th fret E like mcdick.. but then put rude finger on the 5th fret of A.. then move it down to 4th when it's time. just try whichever way feels comfortable.

also.. unless you have another guitarist or four arms.. that second guitar will never sound right by itself. which is one of the most frustrating things in learning a song. not being able to make it sound like the damn song with only one guitar. So i guess you could just randomly strum strings to that order to get the feel that the song has.

oh and yes.. you could call it arpeggio.

anyway.. i like tiny vessels better -_-..

HSC
individually there isnt much to either guitar part, so if you were keen enough you could make your own arrangement thats sortof like a compromise between the two parts.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
i havent heard the song, but the way i would finger it (judging by the chord changes) would be to press 5th fret on the E string with my ring finger, 5th fret on A string with my pinky, and 4th fret on A string with my second finger.
Thanks, but with the way you and Jase say to do it my bottom finger (the one on the 'A' string) is a long way from the fifth fret (like almost on the edge of the 4th fret. Isn't that bad, aren't you suppose to keep it as close to the fret as possible? Does it matter that much? I suppose it can't really be helped in this case anyway:).

mcdickpants 2.5 said:
and all an arpeggio is is playing the notes of a chord separatley.
Yeah, I know what it is but I didn't know what they sounded like. Now I have a bases of picking them out:).

Jase said:
woo! death cab for cutie!!..
Yeah, they are awesome:cool:.

Jase said:
well i can't really tell "how" to play it.. there are many ways you could put the fingering for that 5th fret thing. but i'd personally put my ring finger on 5th fret E like mcdick.. but then put rude finger on the 5th fret of A.. then move it down to 4th when it's time. just try whichever way feels comfortable.
Thanks for your opinion (refer to the above post too):).

Jase said:
also.. unless you have another guitarist or four arms.. that second guitar will never sound right by itself. which is one of the most frustrating things in learning a song. not being able to make it sound like the damn song with only one guitar. So i guess you could just randomly strum strings to that order to get the feel that the song has.
Why is that? I can't really hear another guitar playing in the background anyway, only hear the drums:p. It should sound pretty close though, right? I don't really care if it don't sound right though, I just want to get the practise so I can play it with another guitarist if I ever get the chance:).

Jase said:
anyway.. i like tiny vessels better -_-..
Ah, it is too hard to chose my favourite Death Cab song:).

mcdickpants 2.5 said:
individually there isnt much to either guitar part, so if you were keen enough you could make your own arrangement thats sortof like a compromise between the two parts.
You are obviously greatly overestimating my ability;).

HSC
Merethrond said:
Thanks, but with the way you and Jase say to do it my bottom finger (the one on the 'A' string) is a long way from the fifth fret (like almost on the edge of the 4th fret. Isn't that bad, aren't you suppose to keep it as close to the fret as possible? Does it matter that much? I suppose it can't really be helped in this case anyway:).
im not sure exactly what you mean, but you're pretty much supposed to press in the middle of the space between the frets. the closer you have your fingers to the actual fret, it more muted and unclear the note becomes.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
im not sure exactly what you mean, but you're pretty much supposed to press in the middle of the space between the frets. the closer you have your fingers to the actual fret, it more muted and unclear the note becomes.
Oh, I thought you were supposed to press as close to the fret as possible without touching it. Thanks for the clarification:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)