Hamlet/R&G Transformations? (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
its adapted for the audience at the time. the monarch doesnt play such a strong role on our lives today and therefore Stoppard shifted focus from the courts of Hamlet to the regular people, R&G. Religion also isnt so strong today and so Stoppard almost removes religion.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Another key point, I think is the treatment of Hamlet as compared to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern..

Important in this aspect is the scene (About page 26 or so) which borrows the 'questioning' of Hamlet from the play, and then their discussion of the 'results'..

'He murdered us', a double reference, to their losing the question 'game', and foreshadowing their ultimate fate, 'murdered' by Hamlet's switching the letters..Which in itself is interesting, because Hamlet is that well-known a play, that such a title can be used, hanging over all the events within the play.

Generally, Hamlet is shown in a less sympathetic light than in the original play, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are shown as helpless against fate, an existensialist reading, in a sense..

I don't know if any of this is useful, but feel free to use it..I do 'In The Wild'. ;)

In Elizabethian times, nobility and cosmic order was vauled, Shakespear recognises that in the end we are all "food for worms" wether we are nobility or a commoner, but he had to also please the nobilty, hence forgrounding Hamlet, Gertrude and the king, Rosencrantz and guildenstern are backgrounded and made fools, becasue they symbolised the common man, who was not valued at the time. "we are nothing sir"
Stoppard was writing in the swinging sixties, no longer was nobility valued, and in replacemant, the common man was valued, so Stoppard forgrounded the backgrounded, hence making R&G the protagonists and making the nobles fools.
That is just one aspect of the text though, so just refer to the authors contexual influence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)