• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hamlet. Where to start? (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
so I did crap in my essay for Hamlet in the trials. I'm trying to make concise notes for it to prepare for my HSC but I dont know where to start? What do I talk about when making notes? do I write about themes? or the characters? or what???

HSC
Make an overarching thesis about Hamlet off your class notes. So... Hamlet is a play about [something here]. And then develop 3 philosophical sub-ideas off that - remember the rubric asks for your own PERSONAL READING of the play.

So for example, my reading is 'Hamlet is a play about the search for truth in a world of shifting values.' And then I develop that with 3 'ideas' which supports that reading with detailed textual analysis.

So develop that reading first and write about it. And then know that reading really well (I pretty much vomited my pre-prepared reading onto the exam paper, twisted it to the question and got full marks). But also, do some 'theme' maps. But really (this is the worst advice ever sorry), know the play fucking well and have the reading as the back-up. They can ask you on ANYTHING. Be prepared for a shocker, worst-case scenario.

_deloso

HSC
Make an overarching thesis about Hamlet off your class notes. So... Hamlet is a play about [something here]. And then develop 3 philosophical sub-ideas off that - remember the rubric asks for your own PERSONAL READING of the play.

So for example, my reading is 'Hamlet is a play about the search for truth in a world of shifting values.' And then I develop that with 3 'ideas' which supports that reading with detailed textual analysis.

So develop that reading first and write about it. And then know that reading really well (I pretty much vomited my pre-prepared reading onto the exam paper, twisted it to the question and got full marks). But also, do some 'theme' maps. But really (this is the worst advice ever sorry), know the play fucking well and have the reading as the back-up. They can ask you on ANYTHING. Be prepared for a shocker, worst-case scenario.
oh okay thanks
but that end bit is making me more nervous. lol. I seriously cannot get hold of the play, our teacher tells us to know the play. but I cant seem to grasp it. like remembering quotes and all that is hard enough.. imagine knowing all the quotes to fit it in the question asked. But yeah, I shall start making notes on ideas and themes as you said

Vidhya

HSC
Blackberrystone said it all.
Just keep in mind that a lot of the time, questions refer to specific themes like honour or love but that doesn't mean you need to have used these themes in your pre-prepared essay. You use honour as a metaphor or as the undercurrent of the theme you are already using. For example, if you've pre-studied revenge, maybe you can talk about how honour is the driving force behind the medieval values of revenge blahblah. I reckon with Hamlet, you just need to practice a LOT of different past questions, as opposed to just perfecting an essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)