Happiest Day of My Life for a quite while (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Today my UNSW Maths 1B student brought me a bottle of Black Label. How really happy it made me. I've been waiting a couple of weeks for the results of his exam. No news from him all this time. It was nerve wrecking. I called him yesterday - no response. Then this morning as I was sweeping my driveway in walked my student bringing with him something for me. I then knew it was all OK. I only wanted him to pass the course. That was my challenge and undertaking. I was worried I might not make it.

For many of you who are decent at maths, passing Maths 1B is nothing. For him it was near impossible without help; he has done only 2U maths for his HSC. While tutoring him, I often asked myself why I had taken on the challenge and what I had got myself into. I very much held his future in my hands. It was a compulsory course requirement for his intended degree.

In the end it was all worth it. Because when he completes his degree he has a very good professional practice to take over from his dad. As his mentor, you have a great sense of satisfaction in being able to make a very critical difference to somebody's future.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Today my UNSW Maths 1B student brought me a bottle of Black Label. How really happy it made me. I've been waiting a couple of weeks for the results of his exam. No news from him all this time. It was nerve wrecking. I called him yesterday - no response. Then this morning as I was sweeping my driveway in walked my student bringing with him something for me. I then knew it was all OK. I only wanted him to pass the course. That was my challenge and undertaking. I was worried I might not make it.

For many of you who are decent at maths, passing Maths 1B is nothing. For him it was near impossible without help; he has done only 2U maths for his HSC. While tutoring him, I often asked myself why I had taken on the challenge and what I had got myself into. I very much held his future in my hands. It was a compulsory course requirement for his intended degree.

In the end it was all worth it. Because when he completes his degree he has a very good professional practice to take over from his dad. As his mentor, you have a great sense of satisfaction in being able to make a very critical difference to somebody's future.
Impressive strategy to market his tutoring business - shows that he cares a lot about his clients achievements and even describes the wait for his clients results as "nerve racking". A good tutor wouldn't need to worry about the results of his client; he should only worry about whether he will get 95% or 99%. JK JK JK JK Good work bro. Sounds mad. Too bad I'm only doing general and I'm hating it because it's so boring!

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Excellent! A lot of people struggle with math so it is great to see when they pull through.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Impressive strategy to market his tutoring business - shows that he cares a lot about his clients achievements and even describes the wait for his clients results as "nerve racking". A good tutor wouldn't need to worry about the results of his client; he should only worry about whether he will get 95% or 99%. JK JK JK JK Good work bro. Sounds mad. Too bad I'm only doing general and I'm hating it because it's so boring!
Very insightful analysis.

I recall my niece giving the same excuse when asked why she wasn't doing 4U maths: so boring. At the back of my mind the thought was she was not capable of handling it. To dismiss it as boring is bullshit. One should never describe Maths as boring unless one finds it so easy and trivial that there is no challenge left. Too hard, unfathomable etc - yes, to most people.

As for getting 95% to 99% see if Matrix, Talent 100, Intuition, Harry's, Dr Du, Truong ... can get you a 90% in 4U Maths. My student already failed his Maths 1B badly earlier. You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

By the way I don't have a tutoring business. I'm just a 1-man band making myself available in the hope I can make a difference. Money is secondary.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)