have a look~ (recommended b^^) (1 Viewer)

wenwen

uhm...i reckon~ one way to improve jap listening is to expose urself into jap speaking environment~
i asked around for a few friends' choices~
some play jap ps/pc games
and some watch jap anime!!!!!

the main point is that i'd like to recommend <<NARUTO>>to anyone who haven't seen or even heard it. it's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and those who'v seen it....let's discuss things about it~! (it's obvious i'm absorb by it.... :p )

also also~ strongly recommend ppl to read <<memoirs of a geisha>> by AUTHUR GOLDEN
great book~! u'd gain insights about the life of a geisha and about ...well mainly about geisha....haha~ but it's FABULOUS!!!!

ichig0

HSC
yep!! i got my good pronounciation from listening to japanese music, watching japanese drama and anime! it really helps!

wenwen

ichig0 said:
yep!! i got my good pronounciation from listening to japanese music, watching japanese drama and anime! it really helps!
hav u watched NARUTO? ^^ me watching it atm,sooooooooo kool~!
but as i was watching it today.....some episodes' ain't playing well on the pc T0T...like the sound comes out but there r no images........555wanna cry soooooooo badly

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
a) I got mine by speaking Japanese to Japanese people. :p

b) I agree with you both that if you haven't got a speaking buddy available then aural immersion is an excellent addition to your Japanese study materials. I haven't listened to much J-Pop since year 10 (when I was there) but animé is great: Naruto, Evangelion and Love Hina were my TV replacement.

c) If you want to improve your reading then it's manga, all the way. Reading Love Hina got me through Extension Japanese. I chose it because it's not a pile of <s>steaming shit</s> fluffy girly cotton wooly junk, and for shonen manga it's pretty tame (ie no sexual theme, modest implied nudity). Not to mention the habit of the author to put furigana next to almost <i>every</i> kanji appearing throughout and you have a powerful learning tool at hand.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
i find anime is good... I learnt the plain form of lets from spirited away... and i learnt to be crazy from neon genesis... and i learnt stupid words from pokemon on the gameboy... who ever thought "run away" would be a useful phrase lol.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
If i ever go back to japan again i want to join a conversation between strangers and go "Hontou ni?" then when they look at me funny ill yell out "NIGERU!!!!" and run away kikiki

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
They'll just think you're one of those crazy otaku. One of the REALLY crazy ones, who are so into their anime that they think everything in Love Hina is exactly how things work in Japan. After all, what use is a pretty Japanese girl if she can't look back sadly and expect the breeze to toss her hair whilst encircling her ankles with sakura?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Ha... i know a few people like that.

But my japanese teacher said "honto ni" is really useful... she was once at a company in japan and they were having this big conversation so she just walked up and said it... then they all thought she could understand... it was quite funny for her.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wow...that's extremely rude... you never ever EVER walk up to people in a conversation and just join in. It's so offensive to conservative Japanese that they won't know what to do. They'll just implode in a small cloud of confusion!

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
She may not have wallked up to they may have started it around her... im only going on what i can remember.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ah ok. :) Just seemed odd for a teacher of Japanese to do that. Especially since they're teaching you about the culture and all. :p

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
where do u get all this anime and jap series?? i can't download em cuz i still use a crappy 56k modem, which will take me hours just to d/l one episode.
And where do you get a japanese person to talk to, besides ur teacher? hmm...

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
walk around the zoo... or a camera shop :p You're bound to find japanese people there.

Alternitively, you can go to the airport and hold up a sign which says "Welcome Japanese People" in japanese... then wait at a gate where a flight from Japan arrives.

I'd sugguest writing out your responses to questions, getting your teacher to mark them and correct the grammar. Then go to someone in your class who you dont know very well and hold your conversation with them. It teaches you to say the right stuff, and your semi-nervous because, like the examiner you will eventually talk to, you dont know them.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
wenwen said:
also also~ strongly recommend ppl to read <<memoirs of a geisha>> by AUTHUR GOLDEN
great book~! u'd gain insights about the life of a geisha and about ...well mainly about geisha....haha~ but it's FABULOUS!!!!
As I've said before, I dislike Arthur Golden. His book is portrayed as though he actually wrote it as a real geisha was telling him. Sadly, it's just sensationalised, misinformed froth formed from the fantasies in his westerner head.

Lexicographer said:
Wow...that's extremely rude... you never ever EVER walk up to people in a conversation and just join in. It's so offensive to conservative Japanese that they won't know what to do. They'll just implode in a small cloud of confusion!
hahahaha!!!

garry

mushroom_head said:
where do u get all this anime and jap series?? i can't download em cuz i still use a crappy 56k modem, which will take me hours just to d/l one episode.
And where do you get a japanese person to talk to, besides ur teacher? hmm...
ask your friend to download for you. there are many in bt. i just finish watching a series called 'summer snow' it has something about disable in it. Or 'beautiful life' is also a good one to watch, also about disable and the storyline is quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)