• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Have you started planning your major? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
This is directed more to people studying generalists degrees like Arts, Science etc...

Have you started planning your major out? Not as in "I'm gonna do a major in Chemistry, the end", as in planning how many, and what subjects you're doing?

I know I'm only first year, but I'm starting to get worried about what subjects I should do, because I have all these complex rules about prerequisites and co-majors in a double degree... is it time to be worried, or should I just put off thinking about it for now?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think I'll major in Microbiology or Genetics. Depends which one I did better in second year. I am thinking of only majoring in one area, so i can learn more in-depth by doing more subjects in the area than those who do double majors.

For example, I'll be doing 42 uoc MICR3XXX subjects in the third year leading to my honour.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm in the middle of checking every possible obstacle to me studying Biochemistry 1 a year ahead (instead of Maths and Computing for Science), and let me tell you that starting early is way better than starting later. If I'd turned up to enrolment on Wednesday and got one of the subjects wrong (unfulfilled prerequisites, corequisites etc) I'd have been TOTALLY SCREWED.

Thank God for free faculty handbooks! :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
This is the third year of my five year double degree programme and I still do not know what I will be taking next year (i.e., I have no idea). It's great.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
I'm in the middle of checking every possible obstacle to me studying Biochemistry 1 a year ahead (instead of Maths and Computing for Science), and let me tell you that starting early is way better than starting later. If I'd turned up to enrolment on Wednesday and got one of the subjects wrong (unfulfilled prerequisites, corequisites etc) I'd have been TOTALLY SCREWED.

Thank God for free faculty handbooks! :D
im in the middle of every possible obstacle of me getting into combined degree

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I've planned out what subjects I'm going to do all the way to the end of my degree. Things might change between now and then, but yeh, have it all planned :).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jasee said:
I've planned out what subjects I'm going to do all the way to the end of my degree. Things might change between now and then, but yeh, have it all planned :).
Same :)

However, I've decided to take another semester longer, cause I wanna do 3 subjs a semester instead of 4 (I find I have more freedom, and the lesser workload is good for my sanity)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh I'm hoping I can work full time in my 5th year and do uni part time, since I half a half a year in my 5th year and its annoying finishing halfway through the year :p.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am pretty sure one of my majors is going to be Business Finance but as for the second, I really don't know. I thought I had my mind up on "International Business" about a month ago but I keep changing my mind:(.

santaslayer

HSC
I'm in first year and I've sorted out the subjects I'll be doing right till my last year. (5 and a bit years) so far. I'm planning on doing a B Commerce (Accounting) but the dillema I'm facing right now is the option of undertaking a double major in Commerce, and if I do go ahead with it, which one? So far my choices have been pretty narrow, either Economics or Finance.
The other problem I'm facing is the the toss up/tradeoff between workload and time. If I do undergo a double major, would it be a physical and mental strain because I'm also doing a LLB at the same time? Would I be able to cope with the workload?
Time is also a huge factor, I might be looking at Summer sessions in the near future so that I don't get too far behind on the sequence of studies recommended by the university.

I also have to keep in mind the prerequisites that exist in Accounting. If I fail one of the more important subjects, I'll be wasting a lot of time. :(

LLB isn't as worrying as Commerce at the moment because we are required to undertake a series of core subjects throughout the entire course. My headache will only occur in 4th year, where I'll be required to choose two law electives. There are so many it'll be hard to choose. :p

The below attachment is a sequence of recommended studies for my B Comm/LLB degree. :)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i've planned out my degrees till the end, thats including what units to do for each semester...

i've also planned out an alternative unit schedule if my original plan doesn't work out...

i plan to finish at the end of 2006 and take 5 units each semester till then!!

my majors are pretty much decided on, finance and economics... all i gotta decide on are my electives, either politics and international relations, marketing or sociology...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Same :)

However, I've decided to take another semester longer, cause I wanna do 3 subjs a semester instead of 4 (I find I have more freedom, and the lesser workload is good for my sanity)
It's pretty unlikely that the nice people at UNSW will delete any of the subjects required for a major in the next 2-4 years isn't it???

(Please tell me yes)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ive got my broad plan in case i dont get my transfer, and ive looked at the subjects offered within those majors, but im yet to fully decide (or even go through them in any detail)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Weird, when I enrolled for my B Science @ UNSW back in 2002 they made me choose my major on the spot.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
babydoll_ said:
It's pretty unlikely that the nice people at UNSW will delete any of the subjects required for a major in the next 2-4 years isn't it???

(Please tell me yes)
lol, not unless there's a major change in the theory or structure of that major's subject matter

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I didn't plan my major out "properly" ..argh and now I'm paying the penalty :( ..having to run here and there talking to god knows how many advisors - (I only have 2 weeks before the HECS cut-off :( ) < and I'll have to change 3 of my units ..but I've been doing this for most of the year :rolleyes: ..I think I've learnt my lesson

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I decided just last week that I'm going to major in literacies accross the primary curriculum for children with special needs... and at the same time minor in auslan (sign language)...

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
christ_ine said:
Weird, when I enrolled for my B Science @ UNSW back in 2002 they made me choose my major on the spot.

but thats not your definate major, its only to use as a guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)