Having trouble staying focused - PLEAD FOR HELP! (1 Viewer)

Smoke

Ok, basic situation is this, half yearly results

Biology - 79%: Not happy, was hoping for 80% +, which i think i can achieve end of year,k hey, it was 1 mark, meh.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IPT [year 12 Course half yealr report] - 80%:, not happy at all, was hoping for above 90%, only myself and two other students do this course in my grade, i was beaten by 1%
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Physics - 52%: Ok, i dont enjoy physics simply because of the people in my class, but i really need to do the subject and i think i could do well, but....well you will find out later on. I need to get high 80's end of year test
Maths Advanced/2U - 56%: Couldn't believe this mark, i felt really confident before and during the test, studied a lot for it too. I have since got a maths program for my pc which i use 3 times a week but im not sure how much it will help me. Need above 80% end of year test
Business Studies - 83%: Was top 3 in my class, i think top 12 out of like 60. I want around 85-90%, i can achieve it, maybe
English Advanced - 66%: Shocking, the average for the classes doing soley advanced (not extension) was 60%, but for those classes doing extension, well, their average was around 70-80%. I need above 80% end of year test. The main blame held by most the 2U students is the shocking english teachers we have, a petition is being finalised raising these concerns and hopefully things will change, but i need to help myself some how.

Ok, basically, im addicted to my PC, I try to stick to time tables but i have trouble doing so. So from tommorrow on, im having my parents take the power board and not give it back till 5pm or until my time table has been followed, hopefully it will help me keep to studying and revising, HW, etc.

As for the physics, well ive taken it upon myself to redo the entire theory part of the course, and im about 1/4 way through, im hoping it will help, but i can't expect any support from the science faculty regarding this subject, they are quite arrogant & basically not interested :(

Does anyone else have suggestions to try and help get on the right track?

Smoke

Physics: Somewhere near the bottom
English: Mid range top, mebbe top 6 out of 12-15 people
Maths: Prob out of 20 people in the class, around bottom 10. Apparently the other advanced maths/2U class didnt go nearly as well as our class, but i dont care

Really, i couldnt care less about the rankings, as i scored soooo poorly, and i need to get higher. What im getting at is there is a large number of people who are scoring better, e.g. maths and english everyone does the 2U course and many of them scored much better. Physics, well, its prob my own fault, thats why im redoing the course.

Do any of you think a physics tutor would be a good idea?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
you seem to be doing lotsa good things to get yourself back on track already.

yes i think maybe a physics tutor would be good for you. also when you are in class focus on learning and digesting the info properly - try and have full on concentration.

otherwise keep on trying, dont give up and in the end what you need to do is ...STUDY,STUDY< STUDY!

Smoke

Heh, thanks, ill look into the physics tutor if i dont see some kinda self confidence in physics build up - sitting alone in physics seems to a more attractive option now, no distractions.

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
you can't rely on your teachers, they are just there to guide you.

stick notes everywhere sayin 'GET BAK TO WORK"
works for me
hahha

Smoke

You know, i really wish i had been told that about the English faculty at caringbah high school - unless you do extension 3 or 4, do not expect to get a qaulity english teacher at this school, they are, downright, pathetic.

There is nothing we can do about it, the 2 unit teachers even refuse to give feedback on our work, including exams.

But yeah, im into a studying routine now, i hope ill be ok

HSC
if you can still reach this message...

then you shouldn't be here... but since you are:

MATHS: do as many questions as you can find... no matter how easy they are, do them anyway... our half yearlies saw half the 3u people not know that 1 was not a prime number...
buy anything and everything you can get off old yr 12 students... buy extra textbook (cambridge and coroneus are v good) and do ALL the questions... dont just skim through the last column or something...

ENGLISH: diff people study differently, but here's what i do...
write draft notes in class... anything that can be useful
read through them, and re-write anything you think is RELEVANT in your book...
whenever you can be bothered (at least once a week) write down anything IMPORTANT (e.g. quotes, bgd info, context, techniques) on separate notes...
your book is what you read through whenever you feel like it (literally... it can be once in 2 months) and your notes, read through a little every day... it helps you remember...

i'm not saying it will work for you, just that it works for me...
gluck, and don't worry too much about yr 11...

Smoke

Yeah maths is going ok, i think, it was english exam 2 days ago that got me and mnay others up shit creek - to say the least.

We were given an english in class assessment, told the four possible questions that we could be asked, eg.

On the day, you will be told to write about one of the following interpretations of Shakespeare's Othello:

b) Othello is a psychological study that focuses on the mind of an evil mind and it's devious workings

Now, that was the question that ended up being asked, but, it was changed, without notice to:

Argue that it can be seen as a psychological study that focuses on the mind of an evil mind and it's devious workings

I disagreed with the first part, my basic arguement that a psychological study does not call for an audience (i stated from a source that shakespeare's plays were written to be performed, to an audience), the play requires the audience to actually have autonomy and think about what is going on - make their own interpretations, etc. A psychological study doesn't call for you to interprate anything, it just states fact.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
My suggestion is that before the prelims next term, use the holidays to complete ur notes for maths, I suggest notes for every topic that u have done, when everything is cleared up in the beginning of the term, u will feel better..

berry580

HSC
My now yr11, and in my 1/2 yearly result-

Standard English- 57% Ranking 32/103
I knew I was crap in English, but I was expecting high 60's or low 70's.

Maths 2Unit- 97% Ranking 10/104
Good, but I know I could of got 100% if I would just remember to round off numbers and simplify the fractions!! :mad:

Math3Unit- 77% Ranking 9/72
Bad enough, as I'm (virtually) totally dependent on Maths to achieve high UAI in my HSC.

Visual Design- 43/50-86% Ranking 12/39
Don't really care as its not going to count towards the HSC

Economics- 68% Ranking 9/45
Pretty bad, I was expecting atleast in the high 70's.

Engineering Studies- 73% Ranking 3/16
Not too good because I don't understand anything that was taught after the half yearly exam.

Physics- 71% Ranking 26/47
Just bad, I was expecting around the low 80's atleast, and just look at the ranking. :eek:

In overall, I'm quite unsatisfied, with my current results, I don't it'll get me anywhere.
My prefered subjects in uni are- Commerce, Actuarial, and Aeronautic. All of them require a very high UAI, and I'm not too confident that I can achieve it.
Any comments, suggestions, tips, etc?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)