• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Heart of Darkness (1 Viewer)

tomzies88

Hi Guys, just wondering whether anyone here is doing Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad as one of their other related texts. If so, could anyone help me with this question: What does Heart of Darkness actually say about physical journeys? im looking for just one paragraph explaining this because im having trouble explaining the authors purpose.

magician

HSC
I did Heart of Darkness in Year 11 Ext English. It basically is about English Colonisation. Find a section where they are travelling down the river in the Congo and Conrad is describing the setting and perhaps compare it to a section at the beginning of the text before he leaves? Long time since I read the text, does he just go straight there or is he somewhere else? Even a comparison between when Marlowe finally reaches Kurtz and the beginning parts of the text?

Hope this helps : )

Moonlite

HSC
Yea, i'm doing Heart of Darkness. I found this somewhere:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Heart of Darkness shows the story of Marlow, as he travels to the Congo in search for the mysterious Mr Kurtz. Heart of Darkness can be interpreted as a journey that is of a lonely and unpleasant nature. The novel is significant because of its philosophical and literary qualities. With its climate of doubt and vagueness, it’s lost of moral confidence, its need for beliefs in the midst of moral wilderness, its exploration of the subconscious, and its affirmation of individual freedom this novella is highly significant in the exploration of physical journeys.

Each of us carries a darkness that is unique, our own ‘interior landscape’. The novel is vague however this is because Conrad attempts to evoke the feelings of that landscape into the responder’s mindset. This therefore consolidates understanding of physical journeys, as the responder is orientated to the environment in which the physical journey is taking place.

This might give you a brief overview:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)