Heat of combustion of alkanols (1 Viewer)

petermaniah198

HSC
Can someone explain to me why heat of combustion increases as carbon chain length increases? I know fire sure that it is something to do with more moles of co2 being produced in the products, but not entirely sure as to the full reasoning. Pls help clarify this

piethepker

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure its simply that as the carbon chains get longer, there are more bonds. Hence, when combustion occurs, there are more bonds to break, and as more bonds means more energy released (as energy is released when bonds are broken), the heat of combustion gets larger as the carbon chain increases.

leehuan

HSC
I'm pretty sure its simply that as the carbon chains get longer, there are more bonds. Hence, when combustion occurs, there are more bonds to break, and as more bonds means more energy released (as energy is released when bonds are broken), the heat of combustion gets larger as the carbon chain increases.
False

The reaction is exothermic because the energy released in forming the products is more than the energy required to break the bonds.

Conceptually, however, as that can be directly related to molecular weight there's reliability between your main idea and my link.

piethepker

HSC
N/A
False

The reaction is exothermic because the energy released in forming the products is more than the energy required to break the bonds.

Conceptually, however, as that can be directly related to molecular weight there's reliability between your main idea and my link.
Ah your right! Opps.

ragingcurry

HSC
More carbon atoms means more bonds which means that there will be more dispersion forces and therefore more energy is required to break all the bonds.

Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)