• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HECS 20% discount if you pay $500 or over (1 Viewer)

emi ye

With the changes to the HECS system, it says that if you pay $500 or more of your uni fees, you are still entitled to the 20% discount. Does that mean you only pay $500 throughout your whole uni period, or does it mean $500 each semester or year.

I'm really confused!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Each semester, but you have to pay it by march 31st for the 1st semester

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
green_tealeaves said:
With the changes to the HECS system, it says that if you pay $500 or more of your uni fees, you are still entitled to the 20% discount. Does that mean you only pay $500 throughout your whole uni period, or does it mean $500 each semester or year.

I'm really confused!
Changes? I thought this was there last year cos i did it for first sem before paying it in full

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
AsyLum said:
Changes? I thought this was there last year cos i did it for first sem before paying it in full
No, prior to last year, the discount was 25%, now it's only 20%

You must pay at least 500 dollar before you get your 20% discount. Just anything over $500 you will get it.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
natstar said:
I pay upfront too. Whne u pay the 500- thats just paying a part of the HECS, and u defer the rest, since its normally a few grand- mine is ~ 2k a semester with the discount. I pay the full HECS amount tho, not just the partial 500.
so many questions!
1) by paying $500, does the 20% discount apply to the remaining total amount owing for the entire course or for that semester?
2) how is the amount owing/discounted amount affected if u dont pay another $500 in the subsequent semester? wait... itihnk i sorta answered my first question...ehr does that mean the amount owing in THAT semester will not be at a discounted price?
3) Also... my my.unsw says "My Current Liability: You currently do not have an outstanding liability." how do i pay 500 upfront?

cheers

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jang said:
so many questions!
1) by paying $500, does the 20% discount apply to the remaining total amount owing for the entire course or for that semester?
2) how is the amount owing/discounted amount affected if u dont pay another $500 in the subsequent semester? wait... itihnk i sorta answered my first question...ehr does that mean the amount owing in THAT semester will not be at a discounted price?
3) Also... my my.unsw says "My Current Liability: You currently do not have an outstanding liability." how do i pay 500 upfront?

cheers
1) for the semester man
2)yeh, each semester is independent so if you don't contribute at all in 2nd semester (but u do in first) then they'll just charge u the total hecs for that semester ($4009 i think, since you're doing med now :D)
3)Pretty sure you gotta pay the uni. Just ask the faculty for details. I'm just deferring. cbf paying anything after 2 years of upfront hecs payments.

EDIT- Didn't you fill out the eCAF form? The online commonwealth hecs-help whatever. Mine had an option to choose whether or not you wanted to make the $500+ contribution.

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Bob.J said:
1) for the semester man
2)yeh, each semester is independent so if you don't contribute at all in 2nd semester (but u do in first) then they'll just charge u the total hecs for that semester ($4009 i think, since you're doing med now :D)
3)Pretty sure you gotta pay the uni. Just ask the faculty for details. I'm just deferring. cbf paying anything after 2 years of upfront hecs payments.

EDIT- Didn't you fill out the eCAF form? The online commonwealth hecs-help whatever. Mine had an option to choose whether or not you wanted to make the $500+ contribution.
THanks heaps...
shnigen expensive huh, yeh seems like uni is like going to a private school
i checked the box: i want to make a $500 contribution
but the site didnt give me much of a response to that.
ummm since the payments are in the thousands i reckon 20$ discount is pretty signifcant...
like $4000 would be wat... wait 4000- 500.. so if u get 20% off 3500 which is.... like a 700 discount right? n u hav 12 semesters.. so be like 12 x 7.. 8400.... u save that much i think. shnigen higen...thats fukn heaps!!!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
hmm, yeh you better contact the uni about how to make the contribution.

Yeh, the new hecs fees suck bigtime. However I might be able to get the old fees (6500 a year about) since I'm a pre 2005 student.
Yeah you save heaps if you pay the $500 upfront each semester. Think how much you'll save if you pay everything upfront. But in the end with inflation and everything there won't be as much savings as you think.
Damn govt, uni should remain free! Like they did back in the whitlam days

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Why make university free?

You will end up earning more then if you didn't go to university. Even if you went to learn in which case you should be willing to pay.

What you people basically want is those who don't go to university to partially fund your university course.

I wouldn't mind and in some cases like to see full fee courses everywhere as long as there is loans big enough to cover it.

Generator

HSC
N/A
'What you people basically want is those who don't go to university to partially fund your university course.'

Ah, isn't that what is happening right now? We do not decide where our tax dollar ends up (unless we avoid the system), and given that the learning experience and the education serve the country at large... The argument for a free system is stronger than that for one where the user-pays for the degree in its entirety, but that isn't to say that we should choose one over the other. HECS is in place for a reason, and no loan scheme will ever justify a sector wide system of full-fee only courses... Within the public institutions, anyway.

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Xayma said:
Why make university free?

You will end up earning more then if you didn't go to university. Even if you went to learn in which case you should be willing to pay.

What you people basically want is those who don't go to university to partially fund your university course.

I wouldn't mind and in some cases like to see full fee courses everywhere as long as there is loans big enough to cover it.
well if uni became free and they gave us the option to pay a contribution, you can do it and the rest of us will get a free education. I don't have a problem paying, just would have liked it if it were free. Not everyone is rich you know, and don't say that's not what you were implying.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
jang said:
so many questions!

cheers
no like when u pay $500 upfront, really ur actually paying $625 to be debited off your HECS liability.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Bob.J said:
well if uni became free and they gave us the option to pay a contribution, you can do it and the rest of us will get a free education. I don't have a problem paying, just would have liked it if it were free. Not everyone is rich you know, and don't say that's not what you were implying.
It isn't. If low interest loans could be provided it would be good, but HECS is about as fair as we can get. Not overly large to prohibit university but still contributions.

Trust me, I'm not rich, probably worse off then you.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Xayma said:
It isn't. If low interest loans could be provided it would be good, but HECS is about as fair as we can get. Not overly large to prohibit university but still contributions.

Trust me, I'm not rich, probably worse off then you.
i know, we're all lucky to have hecs. I was just being argumentative :p

Don't look at the ferrari and assume I'm rich :D

Plebeian

theone123 said:
no like when u pay $500 upfront, really ur actually paying $625 to be debited off your HECS liability.
Yeah I think it needs to be clarified that paying $500 doesn't entitle you to 20% off the rest of your fees for that semester or anything, just a 20% discount off whatever you pay upfront (so for each $80 you pay, the Govt kicks in $20 to remove $100 from your debt).

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Techie said:
Yeah I think it needs to be clarified that paying $500 doesn't entitle you to 20% off the rest of your fees for that semester or anything, just a 20% discount off whatever you pay upfront (so for each $80 you pay, the Govt kicks in $20 to remove $100 from your debt).
oh crap, i made a mistake then

you only get the whole 20% off if you pay the full amount up front right?

CrashOveride

HSC
No

you get 20% off any amount payed that exceeds $500. So if you paid $500, it would actually be $600 deducted from your HECS LOAN debt as the government pays 20%, you pay 80%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)