• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hecs (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, what are the current HECS rates (without this stupid freaking increase my vice chancellor dude has just approved)

can someone calculate what mine would be for the year please

im doing 6 science subjects and one arts subject

also, say i did the same subjects next year (even though i wont, i just want a comparisson), what would the HECS go up to?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hmmm...how do u meant to work it out?? anyways, all i can say is that if ur transfering into a new course next year, ur gonna b whoped with john howards 25% increases in hecs. :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
hmmm...how do u meant to work it out?? anyways, all i can say is that if ur transfering into a new course next year, ur gonna b whoped with john howards 25% increases in hecs. :p
yeah, i know...but is it really gunna make THAT much difference? i mean...im prob wrong, but wouldnt it only be around another 5 grand on top of the existing amount?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
if my calculations are correct, after this year, you will owe $5138... thats 6 science subjects and 1 arts subject..

if you fell under the new hecs system, you'd owe $6422 with the 25% increase!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it depends on what you call a huge difference. for some people 5grant will be a lot, for others it won't

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
it depends on what you call a huge difference. for some people 5grant will be a lot, for others it won't
yeah, i was thinking about that the other night....i reckon it will affect the people who only make the minimum contribution out of their wage more than it will affect me...like, it still will a lot, but im gunna be living as cheaply as possible for the first couple of years and putting all my money into voluntary contributions...so it will only take me a couple of extra months, whereas it will prob take some people extra years...if that makes sense...

MoNNiE

HSC
Hey would Howards 25% Hecs increase include ppl entering 2nd year who are transferring into another uni.. but still doing the same course

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
yeah, i know...but is it really gunna make THAT much difference? i mean...im prob wrong, but wouldnt it only be around another 5 grand on top of the existing amount?
faaar out u must b very rich to trivialise $5000!!!!!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
faaar out u must b very rich to trivialise $5000!!!!!!

5 g's is a lot of money to anyone (you would have to be kerry packer to deny that)
but think of it, we're already paying some exorbitant (sp?) amount...a couple of g's on top isnt gunna make that much difference
and as i said before....i reckon its gunna affect the ones that only make the minimum contributions, whereas im gunna live cheap for a few years and pump all my money into it...its only another few months for me, whereas its a few years for others.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
5 g's is a lot of money to anyone (you would have to be kerry packer to deny that)
but think of it, we're already paying some exorbitant (sp?) amount...a couple of g's on top isnt gunna make that much difference
and as i said before....i reckon its gunna affect the ones that only make the minimum contributions, whereas im gunna live cheap for a few years and pump all my money into it...its only another few months for me, whereas its a few years for others.
no, its actually 25% on top of the existing hecs- thats alot compared to the amount in the loan.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
no, its actually 25% on top of the existing hecs- thats alot compared to the amount in the loan.
which works out to be (roughly) around 5g's or so...which on top of the other 20-25g's we will be paying, its really not all that much

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i see hipsta_jess's point..
whats another 5 grand when comparing it to the 20-25grand you will owe...

and don't forget your investing into your futures here... what price would you put on a degree and the benefits it will bring later on??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)