Hellllllpppppppppp (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
- money ($10,000 per day in the supreme court for example)
- knowledge/understanding
- geographical issues (where is the court? where are the parties?)
- cultural/language barriers
- age (paricularly those between the ages of about 16 and 60 as children and the elderly generally get legal aid)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
ohh you meant stuff like that. oops. okay. mine are still relevant tho :p

*HonEy*

HSC
what are some the problems ap person may encounter while gaining access to the legal system

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
access
equality
discrimination
insitutionalised inequality
fairness
equity

stuff like that
easy to bs on :)

*HonEy*

HSC
goan_crazy said:
access
equality
discrimination
insitutionalised inequality
fairness
equity

stuff like that
easy to bs on :)

whats insitutionalised inequality :S

goan_crazy

HSC
*HonEy* said:
whats insitutionalised inequality :S
Formal Equality Occurs when the law provides that, in certain denied circumstances, everyone should be treated equally regardless of background, social or economic status or personal beliefs. E.g. Anti discrimination Act, Sex discrimination Act

Does formal equality before the law hide institutionalised inequality?Despite formal equality before the law the reality is different. Those with less power, less money and less education have less chance of being treated equally by the law. Mainly because of accessibility.
It could be said that inequality is institutionalised. I.e. part of the fabric of our govt. E.g. Legislature, executive and judiciary. The more power and money, the greater the access and the better chance that equality will be achieved.

make sense now?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
call the advice line and ask what institutionalised equality is, they will laugh because apporx. 30ppl a day call the advice line because they don't understand what that is. i asked yesterday and they explained it very well after laughing and telling me what i just told you..:p

*HonEy*

HSC
goan_crazy said:
Formal Equality Occurs when the law provides that, in certain denied circumstances, everyone should be treated equally regardless of background, social or economic status or personal beliefs. E.g. Anti discrimination Act, Sex discrimination Act

Does formal equality before the law hide institutionalised inequality?Despite formal equality before the law the reality is different. Those with less power, less money and less education have less chance of being treated equally by the law. Mainly because of accessibility.
It could be said that inequality is institutionalised. I.e. part of the fabric of our govt. E.g. Legislature, executive and judiciary. The more power and money, the greater the access and the better chance that equality will be achieved.

make sense now?
thanxxx imm gettin really confused i dnt know y

goan_crazy

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
call the advice line and ask what institutionalised equality is, they will laugh because apporx. 30ppl a day call the advice line because they don't understand what that is. i asked yesterday and they explained it very well after laughing and telling me what i just told you..:p
Did I explain it well rnitya_25? ;)

elextroquez

HSC
*HonEy* said:
thanxxx imm gettin really confused i dnt know y

institutionalised equality is like

bob is a rich man who earns 1million a month. phil is a father of 4, working part time because he is a single parent. both commited the same crime and fined each $200. institutionalised equality is like phil should be fined less because of his mitigating circumstance...

hope that helps.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Mr X is a white Australian, finished high school, is literate in English and expresses himself clearly.

Mr Y is an Aborigine who left high school as soon as he could to try to get a job in a trade. He has difficulty understanding English, cannot read or write very well at all.

Mr X and Mr Y are charged with the same crime (let's say it's the offence of stealing by finding, since that's been in the news). The rules of procedural fairness and the law say that Mr X and Mr Y should be treated equally. This is formal equality.

However, the nature of the criminal law (i.e. the need for highly developed and confident language skills) and the courtroom (i.e. the need to comprhend what is going on and the feel as comfortable as possible with the process) mean that Mr X is favoured. He has the language abilities. He had the communication and expression skills. Being a white Australian, he is more likely to be of the same ethnic/cultural background as the officers of the court, the judge, the jury and is therefore more likely to feel more comfortable than Mr Y. In this situation, regardless of the fact that the law says everyone will be treated fairly, Mr X will be favoured over Mr Y. This is institutionalised inequality.

There are many other examples:

* Rich litigant with better lawyer vs poorer litigant with shite lawyer or representing themselves (as often happens in the Family Court).

* Illegal immigrant representing himself vs Immigration minister counsel.

etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)