• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help! (Emma and CLueless) (1 Viewer)

song

HSC
For Emma and clueless (module A), what are we actually expected to write about?

alien

HSC
you write about how the themes have been transformed from emma to cluless, that the setting, themes, techniques, had to be transformed to a new social, historical, cultural and personal context to make the transformation of emma to clueless successful

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
You need to discuss how essentially, its the same story in VERY different contexts and this effects the way the story is told. You discuss parrallels and how these are different/same due to the context. Values inscribed within each text due to its context, and the WAY the story is told, novel V film, irony V satire... etc. Thats a very general question, narrow it for a more detailed answer.

tennille

HSC
song said:
For Emma and clueless (module A), what are we actually expected to write about?
Unfortunately a variety of questions can be asked for this module. Some questions ask you to write about similarities, while other ask you to write about differences. Either way, you have to mention both. A few years ago, there was a question asking how each text helps with the understanding of the other. I suggest to look at standards packages and all. Will_Sparky mentioned quite well what needs to be mentioned. You must always mention values...no matter what the question is. This includes etiquette, marriage, social status in Emma, and materialism, popularity, social status and all in Clueless. There are probably more values, but that's all I can remember...please correct me if I am wrong at all...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Tennille said:
Unfortunately a variety of questions can be asked for this module. Some questions ask you to write about similarities, while other ask you to write about differences. Either way, you have to mention both. A few years ago, there was a question asking how each text helps with the understanding of the other. I suggest to look at standards packages and all. Will_Sparky mentioned quite well what needs to be mentioned. You must always mention values...no matter what the question is. This includes etiquette, marriage, social status in Emma, and materialism, popularity, social status and all in Clueless. There are probably more values, but that's all I can remember...please correct me if I am wrong at all...
I think you're pretty spot on there. Values are neccessary to any essay, because its the values that are the CONTEXT in the text (be sure NEVER to ignore that word! You're not comparing two texts, your comparing the products of two contexts!). I would probably also go into each text challenging social expectations (this is good if you do I&S in 3u, it'll make more sense), and how each pushes the boundaries of social acceptance. Austen challanges the idea of marriage for money, but basically says that Harriet will NEVER marry Knightly because its socially wrong. She sticks with the scope of social expectations. Same with Heckerling. Heckerling sticks Christian and the PE teacher (Ms Stoggart? Alluded to, although not confirmed) in there and goes, hey, homosexuality is fine... But at the end, when EVERYONE has a partner at Miss Geists wedding, neither of them do. Pushing the boundaries and scope of social acceptance, but not breaking them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)