• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help for english h/w please ? (1 Viewer)

v4mpyr3x

HSC
I have returned, i have passed under the arch and am looking around. It's my father's old yard. The puddle in the middle. Old, useless tools, jumbled together, block the way to the attic stairs. The cat lurks on the banister. A torn piece of cloth, once wound around a stick in a game, flutters in the breeze. I have arrived. Who is going to receive me? Who is waiting behind the kitchen door? Smoke is rising from the chimney, coffee is being made for supper. Do you feel you belong, do you feel at home? I don't know, i feel most uncertain. My father's house it is, but each object stands cold beside the next, as though preoccupied with its own affairs, which i have partly forgotten, partly never known. What use can i be to them, what do i mean to them, even though i am the son of my father, the old farmer? And i don't dare knock at the kitchen door, i only listen from a distance, i only listen from a distance, standing up, in such a way i cannot be taken by surprise as an eavesdropper. And since i am listening from a distance, i hear nothing but a faint striking of the clock passing over form childhood days, but perhaps i only think i hear it. Whatever else is going on in the kitchen is the secret of those sitting there, a secret they are keeping from me. The longer on hesitates before the door, the more estranged on becomes. What would happen if someone were to open the door now and ask me a question? Would not i myself then behave like one who wants to keep his secret?

c) What is the mindset of the son ?
d) How is this shown through the sentence structure? (syntactical sentences, combination of fragments and sentences, sentences posed as rhetorical sentences).

I have to follow this SEPL structure

State
Explain
- What is said
- How is it said (the techniques used)
- Why it is said (the effect and purpose of it)
Proof
Linkback

i would be really grateful if someone offered some help

pjiggy

HSC
I have returned, i have passed under the arch and am looking around. It's my father's old yard. The puddle in the middle. Old, useless tools, jumbled together, block the way to the attic stairs. The cat lurks on the banister. A torn piece of cloth, once wound around a stick in a game, flutters in the breeze. I have arrived. Who is going to receive me? Who is waiting behind the kitchen door? Smoke is rising from the chimney, coffee is being made for supper. Do you feel you belong, do you feel at home? I don't know, i feel most uncertain. My father's house it is, but each object stands cold beside the next, as though preoccupied with its own affairs, which i have partly forgotten, partly never known. What use can i be to them, what do i mean to them, even though i am the son of my father, the old farmer? And i don't dare knock at the kitchen door, i only listen from a distance, i only listen from a distance, standing up, in such a way i cannot be taken by surprise as an eavesdropper. And since i am listening from a distance, i hear nothing but a faint striking of the clock passing over form childhood days, but perhaps i only think i hear it. Whatever else is going on in the kitchen is the secret of those sitting there, a secret they are keeping from me. The longer on hesitates before the door, the more estranged on becomes. What would happen if someone were to open the door now and ask me a question? Would not i myself then behave like one who wants to keep his secret?

c) What is the mindset of the son ?
d) How is this shown through the sentence structure? (syntactical sentences, combination of fragments and sentences, sentences posed as rhetorical sentences).

I have to follow this SEPL structure

State
Explain
- What is said
- How is it said (the techniques used)
- Why it is said (the effect and purpose of it)
Proof
Linkback

i would be really grateful if someone offered some help
Hi,not sure if ill really help but ill try !
You could talk about the ostracisation the son feels from his own home as a result of his choice long ago to stray away from his family.
Maybe u could say that part of the son's mindset is regret ? Reading the text it sounds like he chose to stray away from his family long ago and now that he's come back he doesnt feel as if he belongs anymore so in a way,it sounds like he regrets abandoning his familial ties. You could also talk about the confusion he feels.He knows he's still part of the family because he IS their son yet he questions whether he really feels a sense of belonging with his parents.

As for techniques to prove the points above,here are a few just off the top of my head:

--> The direct,sort of factual way the son uses to describe his "home" such as "The puddle in the middle." "The cat lurks in the corner".He sounds more like he's listing facts rather than describing a setting he's lived in for so long. This shows the alieniation the son feels .
--> Cumulation of rhetorical questions in
"What use can i be to them, what do i mean to them, even though i am the son of my father, the old farmer?" Shows the son's confusion ( mentioned above ).
--> Confusion can also be shown through the jumble of long sentences and fragmented/truncated sentences
Fragmented sentences include :
"And i don't dare knock at the kitchen door, i only listen from a distance, i only listen from a distance, standing up, in such a way i cannot be taken by surprise as an eavesdropper."

Anway,hope i helped at least a bit ! And best of luck for your english task !! :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)