Help for subject selections -- pharmacy (1 Viewer)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Help for YR11 subject selections -- pharmacy

Hi, i'm new to these forums. :D

It's now time for us to choose our subjects for year 11. It's pretty confusing. I'm heading towards pharmacy after my HSC. I read the pre-requisite requirements for it, and it seems as though it requires you to do all three sciences. (Biology, physics and chemistry). Do you guys think that doing all three of them is a huge load?

Subjects I will be doing

English advanced + extension (3 units)
3 unit math
Biology (2 units)
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Religion (1 unit)

All together it's 13 units...... Many people have been telling me that 2 unit religion scales the UAI up by a big margin. Think it's worth the extra 60 hours? Or is it better spent studying for my sciences and maths... btw, im pretty okay at maths 9/30 in advanced, i should cope with it. My grades in science have been better than maths... 4/30 in advanced science. As for english, I believe i'm doing well enough for extension.

Anyways, thanks for everyone that replies :)

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont think its so much the amount of units you are doing, but rather the amount of work required for them (eg, the three sciences would take a LOT more time than say ipt, sdd and i.t or something)
from the look of the subjects you have picked, you will have a damn heavy workload!!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah don't do subjects unless you want to do them. I chose physics and chemistry in year 11 and 12 because they were pre requisites for the course i wanted, and i wasn't bad in science, but at the end of year 11 i had to drop physics and i'm bottom of the grade in chem. If you're doing subjects you want to do, then you'll get better marks than doing ones that you have to do. If i had my choice now, i'd go back and change it all. There's always bridging courses after the hsc for those subjucts with pre-req's.

YBK

HSC
I dont think i need biology for pharmacy.....

hmmmm.... im just going to do unit 2 religion instead of biology. Instead of pharmacy i'm thinking of being a chemical engeneer.

What do you guyz think i should choose? Every suggestion is open to thought, what carreers do u think would be suitable?

thanks again :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i'm not quite sure about doing 3 units for english and maths.. som of my friends are bludging in one of those subjects and regretting choosing both extensions.. the best is to talk to your english and maths teachers (or the yr advisor)... just ask them what they think..

YBK

HSC
Huratio said:
i'm not quite sure about doing 3 units for english and maths.. som of my friends are bludging in one of those subjects and regretting choosing both extensions.. the best is to talk to your english and maths teachers (or the yr advisor)... just ask them what they think..
I'm going to be doing extension maths no matter what, a friend and I asked her yesterday about this, she said: "If you don't do 3 unit, i'll come after you asking why you're not in the course"

As for the english, i'm sure it wouldn't be that hard, many people tend to say it's very helpfull. I think i'll ask our english teacher about this, and see what he thinks.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
for my doing both 3 unit english and maths, i tend to slaack of in english. maths they give you wok and questions, but english is more indepened ( as in write your own essays) i like english more than maths but i do more work in it.

AS for the thread starter. 2 sciences is fine if you love sciences. If your not sure talk it over with your teacher from yr 10 science

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Don't listen to coroneos.

Do the combo of sciences if you like it but drop one if the load becomes too much. You will only know if you can handle it, if you try.

If you think there is a chance that you are up for an ext subject. Take it! Always try it out and then decide whether it is for you.

santaslayer

HSC
I''d just do Chemistry and maybe Physics. That gives you a much more freedom to change your mind. :)

coroneos

if u want to do the easiest subject in hsc choose economics la... so good la.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
coroneos said:
choose economics.

plz stop promoting economics, as you are actually discouraging people to pick ecos! people are wondering why you are telling ppl too do ecos and because you are a freak think it must be a bad sub too do.

lay off it for aawhile cornoman

YBK

HSC
-blueblue- said:
plz stop promoting economics, as you are actually discouraging people to pick ecos! people are wondering why you are telling ppl too do ecos and because you are a freak think it must be a bad sub too do.

lay off it for aawhile cornoman
Economics would be a waste of time for me.

What's so good about it anyway ?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
You Should do these things and ignore the promotion of subject by those people above:
-Ask your teachers in your yr10 compulsory subjects and electives about their faculty and what subjects are offered and normally they'll reply "I'm sure ____ (name) you'll be capable of all the them but I think you'll enjoy and excel at_____(subject)". Especially English and Maths where you need to choose what level (standard, advanced, ext or General, 2U, 3U).

-Then check up what you want to do at University and see what it involved. (eg I want to go into Aviation which I'll need to do Maths and Physics).

-If your stil stuck in a dilemma, write out all the subjects and cross out those ones you definitely don't want to do. Use a process of elimination to work out the ones you want.

-Then make your subject selection being restricted by lines and units.

A l

HSC
N/A
YBK said:
Many people have been telling me that 2 unit religion scales the UAI up by a big margin.
You did not mention whether you liked or are good at Studies Of Religion or not. Since it is not really needed for a pharmacy career path, I would say drop that unless you really enjoy it or good at it. If you do enjoy it or are good at it, I would recommend you do 2 units worth of Studies Of Religion. Also, according to 2003 scaling, the course loading of Studies of Religion I and Studies of Religion II aren't what you would call a big margin of being scaled up as opposed to say Music 1 and Music 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)