• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help me n ill help you! (1 Viewer)

annaannaanna

HSC
N/A
here goes:
  • discuss the potential impact of
    the use of reproductive technologies on
    the genetic diversity of a species using
    a named plant and animal example which have been genetically altered
reproductive technologies are - artificial insemination (ai)
artificial pollination (ap)
cloning (c)

i understand that i discuss the impact these may have on genetic diversity
but the named animal and plant example? would i refer to transgenic species although they have not been produced through the use of ai ap or c?
and relate to how this reflects th epotential impact reproductive technologies may have on genetic diversity?
GET MY DRIFT? wanna help?​

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm sure the transgenic species example belong to another dot point.

So you've got it that those reproductice technologies change genetic variaty (Biodiversity) in a population. Cloning = offspring with identical genetice combinations. AP & AI = characteristics that may not have originally been passed on in a population are.
The impact on genetic diversity is that idividuals in a population would be more genetically similar, or those with unfavorable characteristics would continue to be in the population as a result of AI. This may leave the population vulnerable to disease or sudden changes in the environment.

A plant example may be BT Cotton which may survive a pest infestation and become more abundant in the population (yeah abundant shouldn't really be used in that way but meh). The effects of BT Cotton in natural ecosystems is unknown however I'm sure you (or a website) could think of some possible effects.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Actually...another kind of crop would be better used...i got mixed up between normal GM and reproductive technologies. However, the fact that the crop exists is because of the use of reproductive technologies. Theres these Monsanto crops that become sterile prior to maturing and can only reproduce when treated. If these were to come in contact with natural populations they would effectively kill it off as they won't be able to naturally reproduce.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/farmerssued.cfm

annaannaanna

HSC
N/A
THANKS for your information! it really was helpful, but perhaps i didnt word my question properly?

basically what im getting at is that the syllabus point indicates that it wants you to discuss how REPRODUCTIVE TECHNOLOGIES may impact genetic diversity... but then asks for examples of GENETICALLY ALTERED plants and animals.

As far as i know, reproductive technologies (excluding ap) do not alter genome of plants and animals.... so do i give examples of AP or go beyond reproductive technologies and give examples of transgenic species cos they HAVE been genetically altered but-through genetic engineering NOT reproductive technologies ?

this is killing me.. :S! slowly..
anyone understand what im trying to get at?

again.. thanks ari89 :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
The point of the syllabus dot point is essentially for you to:

• Identify reproductive technologies
  • Impact of these technologies in industry and natural ecosystems
  • BIODIVERSITY
You are right that reproductive technologies do not actually alter the genetic code of an individual in the same way as transgenic modifications via gene splicing.
You are expected to relate an appropriate GM example to dicuss the biodiversity aspect of the dot points more so than the reproductive technologies. So yes, if you have an appropriate transgenic species you may use (as long as your focus is on how it may disrupt biodiversity in natural ecosystems)

You'd pick that focus by looking at how past papers approach the dot point...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)